Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:40 AM   #1

I can not access the digital zoom function in the S70 record menu. In all shooting modes the digital zoom (On/Off) menu item is grayed out and not accessible. I have tried resetting the camera to the factory default settings. Did not help. Any ideas?

maident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:37 AM   #2
Administrator

No... It looks like you should be able to set it in most modes from looking at your manual.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:40 AM   #3
Administrator

You may want to see if it works regardless of how it's set (press the zoom button again after you reach maximum zoom to engage digital zoom). Personally, I keep Digital Zoom disabled on cameras I've owned with it (so that I don't accidently use it). You can usually do a better job cropping in software later anyway.

At least Canon warns users that using Digital Zoom can degrade quality (using the word "coarser". :-)

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:13 AM   #4

I followed teh instruction manual exactly and the digital zoom function is not accessible - it is grayed out in the menu.

I most likely will never use the digital zoom function but when you have a new toy it is fun to test out all hte features. ONce I have played with it a little I will turn off the digital zoom.

For now it is aggravating that this feature appears to not be available on my S70.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:05 PM   #5

For those interested in an undocumented feature of the S70 I found one. The digital zoom menu item can only be accessed with the LCD monitor disply set to "ON". If the display is "OFF" the digital zoom menu option is grayed out and you can not access this menu item. It would have been nice if the Canon technical support personnel were made aware of this feature. Now that I know this tid bit of information it is logical that the digital zoom menu option is only available via the display. The digital zoom does not work using the view finder. The owners manual does not address this requirement.