Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:08 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm looking to decide between these two and need to have an easy to use camera for family and vacations. I've nerrowed it down to these 2 and would like some input. I posted in another forum but would like some more replies and opinions...thanks
sperk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:28 PM   #2

The only simple recognizable feature that you get with the S70 is the wide angle lense, which is very nice. It definetly gives you a more panoramic view. If you feel that you could make some good use of this featurethen go for the S70, otherwise settle for the A95 andpurchase a nice big compact flash card with the price difference.

satwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:52 PM   #3

I thought someone would point to the RAW function of S70?

I myself am wondering whether my first digital, a SONY T1, (beautifull in many respects, at the same time not enough crisp/sharp (noise reduction or lens or long zoom ?) should be traded for a Canon A95 or S70?
I have noted from Imaging-Resource »It manages to make just the right trade off between image noise and sharpness, delivering plenty of the latter, with very little of the former. (A difficult balance for any camera, and one that many models gets wrong)«. »Every now and then, a digicam comes along that just seems to get everything right and the A95 is one of them«.

I hang towards the A95, in order to obtain theese crips sharp pictures that I miss, and wonder if I really would use RAW that much before I some day buy a DSLR. Wide angle 28 mm is fine, but only if is good. Also 7 mp is fine to, but again I am more interested in this fine delicate balance between image noise and sharpness. I was (am) a Leica owner for decades, but find easy digital Point & Shoot so much fun. Any comments elaborating on theese thoughts are very velcome.

Camus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:42 PM   #4

For you... RAW is a useless feature, actually IMHO in most cases, for most users it just isn't useful. It implies lots of work to convert and all. I admit it is very useful when you find a perfect picture to print and want to modify certain aspects, but having to do that with ALL of your pictures just doesn't so appealing. And after hours of fun shooting, you get a punishement and you have to convert the images into jpeg. Also, RAW takes more space, so you'll be able to take less pictures.

With that being said, I believe that for your needs 7mp just isn't worth it. I'd suggest looking for S60 or A95, both cameras produce great image quality.

If you find the 28mm feature of the S60 to a must, then go for that. On the other hand, if you prefer the swivel LCD, the hand grip, the size and don't mind a camera not as compact. I'd suggest you try both, because some say the A95 is too heavy, some say its too big... Others say(me included) that the A95 is the perfect weight, finally a camera not too small, it has a handgrip which is much more convenient than the S60(yes I tried it). Beyond the image quality and the features of the camera(both being very good and similar), there is your personnal feeling with it that is VERY important. If you find the A95 too bulky and won't carry it anywhere, then go for the S60...
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 3:43 AM   #5

Thanks Nicolas

You made it so clear for me. Not needing RAW and the good grip.
I didn't mention the good grip around A95, but I have realized the value of such good grip in combination with a little weight. I have through many years of picture taking learned to keep a steady camera. If you saw which positions I take with my T1, you would laugh, but mostly it works, though it is difficult to hold steady with cameraes of that kind.
I am going to have a »hands on« with A95, but I feel certain already, that I will be happy with this not quite shirtpocket size digital camera.
Thanks again.
Camus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:51 PM   #6

My wife has an A95. She is not a camera person and this camera has turned out to be perfect for her. Easy to use with 14 auto modes.
bosamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 3:34 AM   #7

i (heart) my s70.
http://www.anatome.net/shots/

-----------------------------------------------------------
jfresh is offline   Reply With Quote