Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 2, 2005, 3:51 PM   #11

Similar problem! I bought the camera in October 2003. I was in europe in January and I paid 300 euros to replace the LCD display! (They would not accept the US warranty!).
Now I am getting the memory card error! If I use the memory card on another s400 bcamera it works. So, erasing the memory card will not work. Canon reccomends that i send the camera for inspection. I don't want to pay another $300. (Amazon sells new ones for 350).
I tried the trick with the battery without success.
Any advice?

PS. (2 hours later): I used a hair dryer at the CF bay and then put back the memory card and pushed it in a bit more. Now it works!!!!
firi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:28 PM   #12

Memory card error has happened to my card over night too. I have a story but no luck to fix. If you would like to join the Lawsuit against Canon for "Memory card error" OR "E18" error CALL ATTORNEY JIM SMITH AT NO COST TO YOU REGARDING THE E18 ERROR. THERE IS A POSSIBLE CLASS ACTION SUIT.HIS NUMBER IS 1-877-667-9489. This was posted at cnet. I just spoke to Jim about my memory card error and he is worth giving a call if you have these problems.

Canon wants me to upgrade not fixed I am very pissed at their lack of service.

nautigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 4:22 PM   #13

Is this seriously a common problem? I keep hearing about E18 error message too? FWIW, I've owned the S400 close to a year and never had any problem with using it. Heck, I've taken it with me to the beach on numerous occassions; the camera would also be in either my backpack and/or in my front jean pocket.

Now, I'm a bit hesitant as to whether even think about purchasing the new SD series cameras as I've heard horror stories about them too.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:59 PM   #14

I LOVED my Elph S400 - until the Memory Card Error turned it into a very expensive paperweight after I'd owned it about 16 months (others seemed to experience the problem after about the same period of time).The errorhappenedthen a week or solater it let me take a few pictures, then the error came back.Now it's persistent.I tried myspare card which failed andbought a newcardwhich also failed. I thought perhaps the camera was corrupting the cards, but my friend successfully used all 3 cards on his camera.I tried using freshly charged battery, without success. I sprayed some canned air into the card slot and took one more photo - only to have it fail again. I did read a post elsewhere from a guy who, figuring he'd have to toss it anyway,took out all the visible screws, lifted the casing slightlyand blew some air into it afterwhich it worked fine. (He warned that screws look identical but aren't so note where they came from so you could put it back together).

I don't know if I'll ever buy another expensive digital, given my experience with their reliability. Apparently they have joined the long list of disposable electronics. The repair cost is 2/3 the cost of the new (smaller) model. Warranties more than double the cost of the camera. $400+ with a 16 month lifespan is more than I can afford! I certainly won't buy another Canon Elph and I'm passing along my experience to as many as possible. Beware!
janetfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:05 PM   #15

I have encountered the "Memory Card Error" before. I have found that it is usually related to a faulty battery and not the camera itself.My Canon S400's OEM battery did not last long (about a year), I started getting the "Memory Card Error" which often occurred when I was taking pictures, when the camera is "writing" to the CF. When I got the error, I could no longer take any more pictures,and the cameracould no longer preview the pictures on the CF card. I was able to rescue the pictures using an external CF reader. I got a replacement third-party battery at CompUSAfor about $30, and theissue was corrected.A year passed after that andI startedgetting the error again. Same culprit- the battery.Expect these rechargeable batteries tohave about one year usage life, especially under heavy usage (frequent recharge cycles). The thing I noticed when the battery is failing is thatthe recharge cycle shortens.I have a new battery on my camera and I have not seen the problem, for now.
jmoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:19 PM   #16
Me

Well, in the month since my last reply (actually just in the past few days), the camera will ONLY boot up to "memory card error" now. I was shopping for a new digital, but this battery idea has some traction to it, I think. If you remember in my previous post, I mentioned my problems were worse when it was cold out. Well, battery efficiency decreases when it is cold out. I think I'll order some batteries today- I've missed out on a lot of good pictures. Does anybody know anyting about those dirt-cheap 3rd party batteries on ebay? (By the way- I also purchased my camera from Dell.com about 2 years ago and have about 4000 picutres on this battery)

Also, this is total BS that Canon is giving people the run around on this. There is a problem, and they're trying to make money on it! Bastards! I'm tempted to never buy Canon again, but I'm really happy with my S400 other than this problem. Anyway, it is widespread problem- not isolated instances, so they should be responsible for it, even if it just means sending every S400 owner a couple of extra batteries. Everyone should call that number and sign up for the class-action lawsuit. Make sure other people are aware of this problem as well- spread it around the forums.
Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:40 PM   #17
Me

I feel really bad because I've talked about 5 or 6 friends and family members into getting S400's. They're all happy so far.

Has anybody every used http://www.power101.com? check this out...

http://www.power101.com/item.htm?id=60002

2 cents for the battery, 7 bucks for shipping. Is this a scam, or are they just clearing backstock on a discontinued camera and making a couple of bucks on shipping?

Edit: I just put the battery on the charger for 5 hours, and it is still telling me "memory card error". Damn!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 3:20 PM   #18

The Canon S400 is an excellent camera. I continue to recommend it to anyone interested in getting a camera. Rechargeable batteries simply fail over time, regardless of the camera which is something to keep in mind when making a purchase. My S400 has taken quite some usuage, I eventake it underwater often using the underwater case.
jmoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:50 PM   #19
Me

Hah! I just set my halogen desk light a couple of inches above my camera for a couple of hours. It warmed it to probably 110 degrees, and guess what: it works fine now. I think it is a battery efficiency thing. I'd be curious of the results of others...try it.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:38 AM   #20

tconnors wrote:
Quote:
HI...I was getting the generic memory card error on my S400. Further to that the camera was difficult to power on, would not take pics and was not 'seen' when connected to the PC. I discovered my 5 year old had opened the CF slot. Upon investigation I saw that one of the CF connection pins was bent. I removed the back of the camera, opened it up, returned the pin to the original position and now everything is working fine again. I don't recommend this to anyone not comfortable working with electronics, but it something to look at (bent pins) when/if getting the generic memory card error.

Tim
Quote:
THIS IS AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR ANYONE WITH THE E50 ERROR MESSAGE!!! I also looked into all kinds of information on the web, contacted Canon etc. Then I read this message from Tim and found, just like he, that my pins were bent. The flash card is a delicate system, and it doesn't take much to mess it up. It also doesn't take that much to fix it if your pins are bent. If you're looking at the 250 dollar repair bill as an alternative, what's stopping you from peeking inside to see if you can realign the pins? I did it, everything works again and I'm happy.
Quote:
Al
AlFie is offline   Reply With Quote