Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:28 AM   #21

I had the same problem...

I went back to the store and replaced the memory card. The camera is now working fine. I lost some pictures from Holland and Las Vegas, but hey, those pictures probably never should have been stored anyway!

Walking myself through the previous error, I remember that my battery was nearly dead prior to the memory card error. I have read throughout the Internet that the memory error could be very related to the battery.

I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that the low battery life is related to the error. Therefore, I would suggest to everyone that they attempt to the keep their batteries near full-charge as possible. If you get the warning indicator, RUN, DON'T WALK to the nearest outlet.

If the problem re-occurs, try replacing the battery.

I hope that's helpful.

-k
kaumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:15 AM   #22

:sad:I am based in the UK and have a similar problem with my IXUS S400 camera that I bought in the USA. The camera has been working well for 2 years. However, all of a sudden, the 'Memory Card Error' message appears every timeI switch on the camera.This happens with all of my CF cards.

When I try and format any of the cards in my camera, the 'E50' message displays and the camera shuts down. The camera repair shop want to charge £140 ($255) to repair it, which is crazy!

Can anyone help /advise me on this . I believe there is an attorney called Jim Smith who may also be able to help. Is there a number to contact him from outside the USA?

ilminster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:40 AM   #23

Bent pins may be the answer in some cases, but not every time.

Often it seems the problem only starts a year or more after purchase, which suggests use, wearor some similar problem?

Have a look at the helpful advice I've had, here:-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14002411

(with apologies if cross-referencing is considered poor form, but it's a shame to see people having problems with this lovely little camera!)

Peter

Isola Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:45 AM   #24

firi wrote:
Quote:
PS. (2 hours later): I used a hair dryer at the CF bay and then put back the memory card and pushed it in a bit more. Now it works!!!!
I'm amazed. I, too, have the s400 and was getting the E50 memory card error in my camera. A co-worker has the same camera so I was able to download my images and verify that it was the camera and not the memory card. I just tried your hair dryer trick and am absolutely flabbergasted by the fact that it seems to have solved the problem.

Thank you.

P.S. - I did not push the card in any further than at any other time. I'm attaching the first picture I've been able to take in a while. I'm also willing to bet that Jim Smith knows of this work around but won't tell anybody because, well, he wants money.
Attached Images

toddlupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:31 PM   #25

I actually like the picture quality of this camera (S400) alot. I also got the memory card error after 18 months. I had replaced my CF card and it worked for about a week. Then it would work occassionally. It would seem to corrupt some pictures and can't seem to get past thatcorrupted picture. I have to either delete just that picture or format the entire card.The camera seems to work better in warm weather, which leads me to believe it is a battery issue. It is really poorly designed. In fact, this camera should be recalled. I should not have to sit on my camera in the winter to warm it up before I use it, nor would I have a hair dryer available to warm it up.

I have a THEORY I want some feedback on if you wish to respond ([email protected]).

Before I bought this camera I had read reviewson it One of the gripes people had was the fact that it did not have a battery power meter.My theory is that Canon purposely did not put that feature into the camera because they were well aware of the inability to regulate and/or monitor the battery levels to a satisfactory level for normal operations. I believe they took a gamble by taking this product to market and hoped for the best. Now the flaws are starting to show. The solutions SHOULD be to buy a new battery because it seems like batteries that are over 14 months will not sustain working power levels.

I think Canon should have a recall on this camera!!! It is a shame that they will not stand behind their camera and protect their reputation.

Any thoughts? Anyone want to test this theory?

Albert
telecrubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:26 AM   #26

Replying to the question about buying cheap batteries online. You should think twice about doing this. Li-Ion batteries require careful manufacturing controls. If a an Li-Ion battery has a defect, it can fail violently -- explodes or catches on fire. The risk for this is greater when buying a grey market battery. Battery counterfeiting and remanufacturing is a growing problem. Many of these batteries are coming from low cost producer in China. This problem isseen in Cell phones, Cameras, Laptop computer.Try a google search on battery recalls. Here is one example. http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=992

donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 5:48 PM   #27

I just checked on the Canon website and it appears that you do not need any documentation to substantiate your purchase date. Has anybody sent a camera back for service?
duhmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 2:18 PM   #28

I too have fell victim to the mysterious "memory card error".¬* I contacted Canon and they tried a couple technical issue solutions which all failed.¬* I looked at my pins and they were not bent.¬* They gave me a choice of sending my camera back for a "base price" repair of $150 or upgrading to a factory refurbished PowerShot S500 for $199.¬* I chose the upgrade. ¬* I received my new camera yesterday and am very pleased with it.¬* Who knows if it will succumb to the same problem, but I figured it's still a better deal than having my S400 fixed.¬* ¬*This camera is not refurbished from a customer return, rather was sent back to Canon by a retailer.¬* It looks brand new -- not a scratch on it (unlike my old 400).¬* ¬*It has a 6 month warranty.¬* ¬*It also came with all new accessories including a new battery and 32 MB card (even though I was told it would not have the usually enclosed memory card).¬* I got to keep all my old accessories.¬* The S500 has 5 mega pixels to the S400's 4 and other new features as well.¬* All in all not a bad deal.¬*¬*As others have mentioned, I suspect my error may have been due to a low battery.¬* I do recall using it¬* right up to it shutting down from low battery power.¬* I'm going to be sure to keep my batteries well charged just in case.
fiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:05 PM   #29

Like "Phoenix", my S400 has risen from the dead and I am not having memory errors. In Windows Expolorer I noticed that the memory card had some wierd files so I did the reformat trick and this time it worked. I just took 175 flash pictures to drain the battery but it is still working. I am putting in my backup generic battery and we'll see what happens. The next test will be to let the camera sit in the bathroom with the shower on - the problem seems to be worse when I was in high humidity places.
duhmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:22 AM   #30

How was Amex with handling your extended warrenty?

The S400 is a great camera (takes better pix than the new SD series) IMHO. Once had to send in my S230 to Canon (back when it was new) due to an electronics glitch that caused me to get corrupted images and then for the camera to fail taking pictures entirely (it could display old shots fine).

Anyway, it took about 2-3 weeks for Canon to send me a replacement (it was under warrenty) but the replacement S230 has been a workhorse for the last 4 years without trouble.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote