Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:30 AM   #41

This happen to me as well when i tried to use my card reader instead of the mini usb. What happens is that Windows puts hidden directories like Recycler and System Volume Information to it because it thinks it is a drive. I saw it because i have normaly hidden sytem folders set to displayed. I think that is the reason but I am not sure.

So I have formatted the CF card with the cam which was really slow before i even got to te correct menu.

I do not use the card reader any more but instead use the mini usb. So if you have the choice don't waste time to format the CF card every time but use mini usb. Another reason is that my counter became resetted every time I formatted.

by the way Canon Ixus 500 user
techdesk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:48 PM   #42

Here's HOW TO FIX THE CANON S400 MEMORY CARD ERROR:

I have the Canon S400 and I was getting the memory card error. After almost throwing the camera away, I did a search online and found a way to fix it that worked for a lot of people. What you need to do is open the camera and remove the camera's internal BIOS battery (NOT the external picture-taking one) and insert it agin. This might seem like a major task, but it's actually not all that complicated (although if you are not comfortable with opening electronic devices and handling tiny screws, you might want to stay away). Here's a diagram to help you out:

http://www.huroncamera.com/diagrams/...0_IXUS_400.pdf

(the battery is part #3 on page 4). Don't be scared with the diagram, as you won't have to take the entire camera apart. You will only need to open up the camera. Best bet is to REPLACE that battery, since it's been a while and these little batteries drain in about a year or two. Good luck!
revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:56 AM   #43

I read this thread yesterday and tried the remove and replacement fix last night. It worked! I'm now looking for a new internal lithium battery so I can replaceit.

Thanks.
Offshore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:22 PM   #44

I too have had problems with my S400 camera. Error messages started right after the warranty expired. I missed taking so many picturesof some important eventsof my family. It is ridiculous to need to recharge completly the battery with every picture I want to take, to have a hair dryer handy to warm up theCF compartment , and still it fails many times. This is really a very expensinve piece of JUNK! I wonder why Canon had them on the market. They made really good money out of this , but how about us?

Spare yourself of some anguish and if youshould decide to buy this camera, just THROW YOUR MONEY INTO THE TRASH CAN....
brenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:51 AM   #45
E50

E50 error on Canon S400 fixed! I too had success with removing and reinstalling the internal BIOS battery! I also identified the battery part # (mine is a Seiko battery) and had attempted to find a replacement, however I was unable to find it except on special order from a few electronic distributors I deal with and only in quantities of 1000. So I just put the old one back in. However, all batteries eventually fail so it would be nice for all of us who have this problem to replace them. If there is enough interest, I would consider buying a thousand of these.
BTW, I spoke to a Seiko tech regarding the problems and battery solution - his take was that it sounds like this reinstallation most likely resets the camera to its original factory settings. My concern is that perhps the E50 problem stemmed from a power problem with this BIOS battery. If so, those of us who "fixed" the problem with reinstallation may see the problem again soon. Once we have these cameras opened up, it would be nice to just replace the battery with a new one.
Brian
E50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:22 PM   #46

I started getting occasional E50 Memory Card Errors about a month ago. Turning off/on or reseating the memory card made the error go away. Until several days ago, that is. But the hard reset by disconnecting the tiny internal battery worked! a

Thanks all for posting the fix here. I like S400 and hope it continues to work for at least another year or two. It's only about two years old. When I thought the camera was really broken, I was getting excited about buying a newer faster smaller camera like the SD500. :-) Instead, I saved a few hundred dollars.

The tiny button battery is under the front faceplate in the lower right corner. Be careful with all those tiny screws.
snowsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:53 PM   #47

Thank you so much for the suggestion to open the camera remove/reinsert the internal battery. I did it today and it worked...saving me the expense and headache of buying a new camera. I am not familiar with electronics at all, and I was able to open the camera and make the 'fix' in about 30 min. Just be sure to keep track of all the screws - I suggest printing out the diagram as well.

Thanks again.
chillyjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:14 PM   #48

Just used the ol' rock and roll repair and fixed my S400. I couldn't get rid of the memory card error nor would my card reader allow me to reformat. I have done that in the past and it did work before but not this time. Pulled out my 15 year old can of contact cleaner that I used for dirty pots and tube sockets. I soaked the contacts on the CF card and jammed that in and out of the camera. Didn't fix it. Soaked the battery contacts and jammed it in and out of the camera a few times. Problem gone. Now I'm still looking for the spot to put the tubes in the camera.......
stevenkorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:08 AM   #49

Welll... if you haven't all thrown your cameras out the window by now I think I found the solution. I don't know where I read it but some bit of info I came across said that if you don't use your camera that much, you need to charge the battery for a full 8 hours even after the green light in the charger comes on. I have two batteries and I charged each of them overnight. I also reformatted all the cards I have but IN THE CAMERA, not in the computer. I had only one "scare" on a 2 week cruise where I took hundreds of pictures and that was solved easily by reinstalling the memory card. I was very relieved to have a reliable camera back.

Not quite sure why it's saying it's November 26, 2005 ... it's really March 24, 2006
glaucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:46 AM   #50

Thanks a lot to all of you!
Had the Memory Card Error with the Ixus 400 and got rid of it by opening the camera as described above, shortly removing the 3V Battery, and re-assembling everything again. Just did it 5min. ago but till now it works like a charm!

Good luck to everybody else!
craaazy is offline   Reply With Quote