Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:52 PM   #51

I just spoke with Canon's tech support - (800) 828-4040 - over this very error -

mine just started today.

Boy you can imagine my horror when I read all the comments here.

The tech guy said there is a known problem with the electronics reading the CF card, and because it is their fault they will repair it for free.

They are mailing me a UPS label to have it shipped to them for free.

I wonder if they will just install a new lithium battery???

At any rate, before I try to open it up, -- being as blind as I am -- I will ship it to them, and let them deal with it.
FWIW - I love this camera, it takes great pics, fits in my shirt pocket, and has been a constant joy... Until today that is

I will repost here when it is returned, and let you all know the turn-around time, and if they did indeed solve the problem.

Good luck!
Susie--S
PS - http://thefotogeeks.com/diagrams/Can...0_IXUS_400.pdf
is where the parts list is - the link above for the diagram to remove the internal camera is not working, for me.

Susie--S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:01 AM   #52

Hello!

After trying out nearly every trick in the book, I've found that replacing the BIOS battery really is the conclusive solution. Fortunately it doesn't require a great deal of technical ability; you'll need an appropriately small screwdriver though, and please make sure to unscrew all screws before attempting to detach the front and back covers. It's easy to misplace those tiny screws, so please be careful.

The link to a diagram offered by revo is down at the moment, but it wouldn't be too difficult locating the battery compartment without it: on detaching the front cover, lift up the bronze-coloured plastic film to reveal the battery compartment near the bottom right corner of the camera.

Thanks for the all the help that's been offered in this thread! It's great to have a community like this.
redloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 7:03 PM   #53

Thanks. I almost wanted to get rid of my S400.
hotweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:46 PM   #54

hey for u people that have the mem card reader error or the error 51 ive got the same problem and im not so sure what to do

took out what i think to be the bios battery it should be the bottom right right think its the onli one in there...well anyways i took that out put it back in and junk umm it wrked for like a week or so but then i still occasionally got the error

on a side note i also had another error which i was wonderring if anyone knew anything about it
i took my camera out in class to turn on but it wouldnt turn on on my first attempt (battery was charged for 8 hours over night too so its not the battery) took several minutes of hitting the on button but when it turned on it just completly froze up zoom taking picture everything but the screen. also i could open all the doors like the battery door and the memory card door without the camera shutting off (if u dont no theres a trigger on the camera which turns the camera off or sumthing if the doors are open)

anyways im not sure if this is a temperature problem because latr when i was outside it started wrking fine

if anyone has any info on all this...and another solution for the memory card error greatly appreciate it
kwazyazn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 12:05 PM   #55

Thanks Susie--S for that tech support number!

I've been having the memory card error for some time now and just purchased a new expensive Sandisc Extreme III memory card because I assumed my old 512kb card was the problem. No such luck, in fact the first time I tried to take a picture with the new card, the error came on.

I just got off the phone with Canon's tech support and they are going to repair the problem for FREE!!!

Definitely worth a call.

By the way, I mentioned to the technician the "fix" of removing the lithium BIOS battery and replacing, and asked him if this was what Canon's repair technicians would do when they got the camera. He said that this was a short term band-aid, and that the factory does more than this. Who knows??

Anyhow, I'm glad there is a solution!

By the way, here is a link to the Powershot service notice on Canon's website:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...p;modelid=8777
Isleblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 10:12 PM   #56

Canon's tech support - (800) 828-4040

They will repair this for free. They will send you a pre-paid UPS shipping label. They will email you when they receive it. You will get a "repair tracking" case number, so you can see online when they are finished, and when they ship it back to you.

Thanks for the added info, ISLEBLUE, that it's more than the lithium battery change.

I hope anyone still trying to figure out their MEMORY CARD ERROR will read this far down!

FWIW, my repair is complete but it has not shipped back out to me yet. The delay on getting it to them was on my end.

Susie--S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 6:24 AM   #57

Mine is being repaired right now, and should be back to me by the end of next week! Canon e-mailed a prepaid UPS label and an already filled out repair form based on info the tech support person got from me during our phone conversation.

I put the camera and form in my own box with Canon's UPS label and sent it off. It took about 5 days to get to them, but once there, they e-mailed a confirmation that it had been received.

Since that first e-mail, I have received another stating that an initial diagnosis indicated that my camera was eligible for the repairs outlined in the service bulletin. I was also given a link to Canon's repair page with a repair tracking number for my camera.

I can see the status of the repairs and shipping back to me.

Now I just need to get all of the disposable camera pictures I've taken over the last week developed before my Canon gets back to me and I forget all about them!

Isleblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:41 AM   #58

To all the replies MANY THANKS - I thought I was alone with this memory card problem. I bought my s400 in the US - I live in the UK.

I just called Canon UK Tech Support and gave them details, they have no idea!!!! I even gave them their own url about the s400 issues

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...p;modelid=8777

Still no idea!!!!

So if you're in the UK/Eurpoe looks like your 'stuffed' for a free repair - POOR SHOW CANON !!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts????
Peeablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:15 PM   #59

I have a S410 which I sent to Canon Service for repair of this problem after trying a bunch of fixes published on the web (none of which worked permanently). They quoted $114 for a repair but I called them and quoted their webpage about the free repair for the S400. They then nicely reduced the repair to $0 as a courtesy.
rjones396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:41 PM   #60

Just to join the chorus - the BIOS battery trick worked for me as well. Pretty simple.

One thing - after taking it apart, make sure you put everything back together before trying to power on. I paniced at first because the hatches have kill switches - the thing won't come on until the hatches are back in place.
pcal is offline   Reply With Quote