Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:32 AM   #61

I guess my "fully charged battery" scheme mentioned up above somewhere was just a temporary fix... although it worked for quite a long time. I have started getting the memory card error more frequently and persistently since I last wrote and I am about to perform the battery operation since everyone seems to have had such good luck with it. Wish me luck. I faint at the sight of blood.
glaucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:25 PM   #62

Hey everyone

This is my first time posting as a member of the community here. I've visited Steve's Digicams site quite often for a long time, getting LOTS of useful info on cameras. This is one of the best web sites on the web today!

Okay, pursuant to the S400 Memory Card Error, allow me to share my experience and put in my $0.05 worth (it WAS $0.02, but I'm accounting for inflation) :

I've had my S400 for a few years now and it's worked beautifully. Easily the BEST ditigal camera I've had. Well, last month I saw a "Kodak moment" -and a rare one at that- so I grabbed my camera, snapped a couple of shots. Everything looked fine. A few days later I turned on the camera to snap another shot and encountered the error (exactly as it said: "Memory Card Error").

To my chagrin nothing I did worked to remove the error. This really upset me because the "Kodak moment" was good as gone. I moved what files I could from the card to my hard drive (one couldn't be moved) in hopes that later on I could save the data. I thought perhaps there was dust, etc so ,I cleaned the card and the slot with a few shots from the canned air. No dice. I re-formatted it in the camera. No go. I put it in the CF reader in my PC and re-formatted it there. No go.

Suspecting my CF card was starting to go bad, I bought a brand new 1GB CF card and put that one in. Same error. It was then that I thought the camera itself to be the culprit. But, to be sure, I put the new CF card in the PCCF card slot and re-formatted it to FAT (not FAT32). I put it back in and viola! It worked...for ONE snapshot. Immediately afterward I got the error message agin. Grrrr.:angry:

I opened up the camera to inspect the CF slot pins using a manifying lens lamp. Everything looked good. However I did notice some fine hair (I have three cats), etc. along the base of the CF card slot where the pins are mounted, so I cleaned that up quickly with a shot of the canned air. While I was at it, I checked around the camera and gave it a good dusting-out with the canned air. Same results.

Just when I was beginning to think that I was faced with an expensive repair bill or an expensive paperweight (and subsequent camera replacemen), I read through this thread on the subject and learned a lot. I was relieved, yet rather disturbed, to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this (apparently, there's another thread elsewhere in this forum about other Canon models suffering from this same issue!). The one solution offered by a member that involved simply removing and putting back in the CMOS battery piqued my interest.

So, I did that and viola! It WORKED!:!: My new card was working fine and I took several pics and a videowith it without a repeat of the problem. So, I took the old CF card, re-formatted it to FAT also and put it in. I did the same thing-a few pics and a video. It, too, worked!So far, no issues as of yet. But only time will tell, I suppose. Well, it appears the original CF card itself is okay, so I guess I can return the new one and get my money back.

Keep in mind that I have two relatively new Canon-barnd proprietary batteries, both fully charged and the camera itself hasn't been subjected to any abuse, incliment weather or significant changes in environment over the past year or two.

My concern is that perhaps the CMOS battery COULD be failing. If so, then it's a matter of time before I see the error again. If this is truly because of such a failure, then the easy solution is to replace it, providinga replacementcan be obtained without having to search under every rock on the Earth.

FYI the battery specs I noted on it:

SII 3625 MS614S Japan

Justso you know which battery to get.The 3625 is most likely to be thespecific type and size identifier.I'm going to Fry's Electronics in a couple of days to see if they have this battery in stock. If not Fry's, Radio Shack either has it or can get it.

Accessing the CMOS battery is fairly simple. Remove the batteryand CF card first, thenall the little screws around the casing. Make SURE you note where each screw goes and be VERY careful of how you handle and store them! Most of them are tiny! Then, remove the FRONT half (or face) of the casing by pulling it straight away from the camera body. There is NOTHING that connects the innards to the casing itself. Once the innards are exposed, you will see a thin copper and laminate film lining covering them, which is held down by two screws. Simply remove those screws, flip up the copper lining sheet and you will see in the bottom right corner of the camera the CMOS battery.Just pluck that out and replace it, "+" side UP. Put everything back together in reverse order and then put the CF card and battery back in.When you power it up, you will BRIEFLY see the error but then the screen will show the initial time and date setting dialogue. Set the time and date and that's it.

Anyway, if thisCMOS battery failuretruly IS the issue then we really can't blame Canon.CMOSbatteries are like any other battery: theyWILL fail over time. In some cases (possibly with this camera), theyare trickle-charged by themain battery to maintain a constant backup and settingspower source.As an example, my old HP Jornada 568 Pocket PC had an internal CMOS battery as well as a main battery. HP's caution with it was not to allowthe main battery to be discharged (or store the PPC without a main battery) for too long, as the internal battery would also eventually become completely discharged. I don't know if some of these CMOS batteries reach a point of no return once they've completely disharged or they have some "lives" left in them. Anyway, perhaps we're facing a similar issue in the S400?Orsimply CMOS battery life-end? Fortunately, the solution for it is inexpensive and reasonably easy to address.

If the CMOS battery ISN'T the issue then the camera has a significant design flawthat should be fixed by Canon. For FREE.

P.S.:If there is a moralto this story it's: UPLOAD YOUR IMPORTANTIMAGES TO YOUR PC OR SOME OTHER SOURCE ASAP!

mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:51 PM   #63

Honestly, if you were to have read previous posts you would know that Canon has been fixing this for FREE and even pays for shipping both ways. Yes you can vent online but it makes you look like so many who just shoot first.

What are you doing going to Fry's anyway? Not something I would admit too

Call Canon direct. They will handle it. For me it was just as easy as pie. It is a known problem and Google searches will attest this
Even if out of warranty, they fix it FREE
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:49 PM   #64

Well, honestly, I DID read pretty much the entire thread and I am aware Canon was fixing the problem for free. And, honestly, I thought I'd take the time to learn more about the camera and try to fix it myself before taking the next step (sending it away for repair), particularly since it's long out of warranty and that I wouldn't have to be without it for any period of time. Well, it now works but if the problem returns and it turns out to NOT be related to the CMOS battery, then I'll get in touch with Canon.

Don't blame me for going to Fry's. I live in the mountains and the nearest store with any decent selection of stuff and priceshappens to BE Fry's. All we have up here is Radio Shack and it sucks. Not everyone has the broad selection of stores you have.

And, honestly, I'm NOT simply "venting". If you fully comprehend my post, it was me SHARING my experience and passing along some information as well as opinions, like any good forum participant would. My $0.02 worth is just that-for what it's worth.

And, honestly, I don't "shoot first". I belong to several different forums and am also a moderator of some. I fully believe in doing some reading first before asking questions (notice I haven't asked any questions in this forum), knowing some answers can be found.

My only fault, really, is not being fully aware of the dates of the most recent posts keeping in mind that Canon is servicng this issue. Apparently, people are getting it addressed and the issue has been quelled, hence no recent new posts. My bad.

Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:00 PM   #65

Well I apologize. The fact is I was about to toss my SD400... and so many of the earlier posts you probably read were so much bull I was also ready to scream

However, this is a real problem Canon has recognized. It is the card reader in the camera body. I think I had to send it to Illinois.. somewhere like that.

Fry's opened here in Anaheim a few years back and has a very lousy set up, so bad that when I went into see the cameras, there was such a mess... people will do many things but spitting on the sensors and more.. and the sales people know zip, won't clean the mess up.. I felt dirty. They employ sales tactics that are in my opinion dishonest. We all laugh when someone buys a product there as problems seem to be part of the purchase.
Do a Google on this or call Canon from their web site.... they will send you a mailer OK and it takes a week or two, comes back perfect.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:45 PM   #66

Thanks for the help. Although I may have cured the problem, for now, I emailed their customer support with the problem to get the ball rolling. Perhaps they can take care of the problem definitively.

As far as Fry's goes...here in northern CA I've had nothing but good experiences with them. However, my experience of their stores in southern CA pretty much resemble your description so I'm inclined to agree with you.In any case, I find their pricesand selections beat Best Buy, CompUSA and Circuit City (which is closing 50% of their stores).
Old May 14, 2007, 4:50 PM   #67

Hi I have tha same error,

Do you still having the diagram of where is the Bacteria BIOS, could you please send me to my email, [email protected]

otmail.com
didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 5:00 PM   #68

I used no diagram. None needed, as it's pretty straightforward. Just undo all the screws (carefully! they're tiny!) and note where each one goes to. Then carefully remove the front cover of the camera. After that there you will see two screws holding down a thin film of copper/laminate. Remove those, pull back the copper/laminate and you will see the CMOS battery in the lower right corner.

Better yet....do what I did: call or email Canon via their website and describe your problem. They will send a prepaid mailer and you can ship it to them for free. They will fix it for free and send it back at their expense. Simple as that. They say the problem is with the communications between the card slot and the camera itself. I think the CMOS is a temporary fix. After I've done it, my camera works finebut who knows for how long. When I get the labels (they're sent via email and you print them out), I'm sending my camera in!
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:25 PM   #69

Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:28 PM   #70

Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote