Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:36 PM   #71

didi wrote:
Quote:

Hi I have tha same error,

Do you still having the diagram of where is the Bacteria BIOS, could you please send me to my email, [email protected]

otmail.com
http://www.pinoyhack.com/2006/09/14/...shot-s400-fix/

I too got the dreaded error. After googling I came across all sorts of hits (including this forum) on this. Mine's been doing it on and off for nearly a year. If I fiddled with the cf card long enough (removing and reinserting, blowing in the cavity, etc.) I could get it to work again. i knew it wasn't the card itself since I could put it tinto a card reader and access the images directly on my laptop.

So I pop off the cover, removed the battery, waited a minute or so, reinserted and reassembled. I had to reformat my 32 meg card (original to the camera) but it read my 512meg Sandisk right away. So far so good. We'll see how it goes. Turns out I have a 4 year service plan from Best Buy (it was a gift) so if it still pukes, I can return it locally. I almost tossed it and replaced it with somehting newer, but I have a lot of accessories (extra cards, batteries and the waterproof case) and knew they'd be useless if i upraded.

Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:43 PM   #72

Oops, sorry for the multiple posts. [img]images/emoticons/bash.gif[/img]
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:23 PM   #73

tommccarty wrote
Quote:
Call Canon direct. They will handle it. For me it was just as easy as pie. It is a known problem and Google searches will attest this
Even if out of warranty, they fix it FREE
I've sent my S400 back to Canon *twice* and I'm still suffering from the same memory card issues (randomly deleting pictures). The first time, the repair note said they replaced the memory card slot. Okay, but after taking a few pictures, the problem was still present. The second time, I attached notes from this forum about the CMOS battery and links to the threads. The repair note came back saying that they replaced the memory card slot. Did they not bother reading my notes?! Each time they said they tested the camera before returning it to me. Each time I was without my camera for the 1 month roundtrip. It's been so frustrating! Anyway, I haven't attempted to send it in for a third time yet since no doubt they'll just replace the memory card slot *again*. Yes, the "repair" is "free"... but it doesn't fix the problem...
vinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:51 PM   #74

I just performed the battery reset as described on this webpage:

http://www.pinoyhack.com/2006/09/14/...shot-s400-fix/

The battery is an SII MS614S. The battery details are here:

http://www.siimp.co.jp/product/detail_e001.html

I took the battery to a watch repair shop in hopes of finding a replacement. The store didn't have the battery, but tested it for me. The battery registered good at 3V.

I put the battery back in. Hopefully no more lost pictures for awhile...

-----

Tools needed:

1. #0 Philips head screwdriver, used to remove all the screws
2. 1.4 mm flathead screwdriver, used to pop the battery out

-----

Dismantling the camera required removing the 11 visible screws on the casing. (One of the screws is a bit hidden behind the USB port rubber cover.) Yes, it seems like you have to remove all 11 screws. Keep track of the locations since the screws are of varying lengths. I did this by drawing a rough diagram and placing the screws on it as I removed them. I would suggest start by removing the four screws for the memory card slot door. The door is spring loaded, so remove slowly and note how the spring is set in its place. There's a hairline slot for the tail end of the spring. Once all the screws have been removed, it's quite easy to pop the front and back off the camera. (You do not need to force pry it open!!) Locate the battery and pop it out with the 1.4 mm flathead. Replace it or put it back in a few minutes later.

When reassembling the camera, the front face slides in place first, straight in. The back goes in next, with the right side (camera front faces away from you) pivoting in first. Make sure the View/Shoot mode switch is on the proper side, either View or Shoot, depending on its original state when you took the camera apart. Afterward, the memory card slot cover is closed.

Upon turning back on the camera, you'll have to set the date, time and date format. All the other setting appear to have been saved, including which image number you're on.

Good luck!

Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:54 PM   #75

Keep track of screws...
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:55 PM   #76

Close-up of battery location...
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:55 PM   #77

Close-up of battery...
Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:16 AM   #78

For Canadian users:

The recall notice is here:

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/cgi-...mp;p_topview=1

Service Notice: PowerShot S400 CF Card Error

Answer

A CF Card communication problem has occurred in some PowerShot S400 Digital Cameras. We would like to convey the details and our service policy.

When communication problems with CF cards occur in this product, the following messages are displayed during use:

• "Memory Card Error" [/*]
  • "Corrupted Data" [/*]
  • "Unidentified Image" [/*]
  • "E50" [/*]
  • "E51"[/*]
The display of such a message, however, does not necessarily indicate the existence of the CF Card communication problem that has been identified.

If it is determined by CanonCanada that your PowerShot S400 camera is exhibiting the CF Card communication problem that has been identified, the camera will be repaired free of charge, regardless of whether the camera is still under warranty. In addition, a refund of a previously paid repair will be made if it is determined by CanonCanada that the repair of your PowerShot S400 was prompted by the CF Card communication problem that has been identified.

We have implemented a plan to assist those of our customers whose S400 cameras have exhibited the CF Card communication problem that has been identified. Repair service will be performed free of charge. Canadian residents are asked to contact the Canon Customer Information Centre for assistance at 1-800 OK-CANON.

Support hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00AM to 8:00PM (EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is preferred, please send your e-mail using the Contact Us tab above.

This information is for residents of Canada only. If you do not reside in Canada, please contact the Canon Customer Support Centre in your region.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue, and appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your support and patronage of Canon products.

coolspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:28 PM   #79
DDM

I must say that this is one of the best threads I have ever read. Thanks for all the advice. I did remove and re-install the internal CMOS battery, and my camera is now working. Note: You only have to remove 8 screws, not the full 11. It only takes 8 screws to allow you to remove the top, which is where the CMOS battery is at. I'm still skeptical as to how long this fix will work, but time will tell. I'll probably phone in and try to get them to repair it for free. By the way, I don't understand why finding this internal battery has to beso difficult. I may ask Canon where I can find one, and seewhat they say.

Regardless, thanks everyone for taking the time and posting this information. Great job
DDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:33 PM   #80
DDM

By the way, just a note to vinh

Your post is absolutely awesome. Very detailed, and extremely helpful. Thanks a million!!!

:|
DDM is offline   Reply With Quote