Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:47 AM   #1
Mel

Hi. First, I want to thank everyone out there that responds to these questions. It helped me chose my first digital camera. Also, the review section has been very helpful.

Anyway, I got the Canon A-95 and really do like the camera. I have one very big concern. When I take pictures of my two daughters, that have very blond hair, the picture comes out as if the girls hairhad been braided. The sides of their hair looks very kinky. I looked on the reviews and the pictures and seems as if the pictures also have a slight kinkyness to them. I am only using auto or portrait modes.

If anyone out there knows what I am doing wrong or if this is something I am going to have to live with, please, let me know.:?Thanks.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:03 AM   #2

can you post a crop of the areas of concern ?
doru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:02 AM   #3
PSP

I get a similar effect when taking head-and-shoulders candid flash shots of my blonde daughter. I've had several digital cameras, and they all do the same thing. I think it's the camera software's sharpening algorithm going crazy when it sees all that detail in the hair.

I've found 2 solutions. The first is to find the "sharpness" setting in your camera menu and set it to the "softest" setting. (This is NOT the solution I use, because I'm too stupid to remember to reset thecamera to "normal" before I put it away.)

The second is to correct the effect in post-processing. The particular software I use has an attribute called "focus", and I just soften the image by one step.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 2:41 AM   #4
Mel

Yes, it happens when I take a close up picture of the girls. It shows up when I look at the pictures on the computer but, not when I got them developed. Their hair looks like they got shocked. I will try some of your suggestions.

Thanks for the reply.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote