Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 10, 2004, 5:26 PM   #1

Just eagerly anticipating steve's review of these two cameras, he said a couple of weeks ago it might be posted around now, any word on this yet?

[edit]guess i could have waited a couple of hours ....time to get an SD200 now
turanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:07 PM   #2
smc

I just read it. too. The video is blow away, I didn't catch if it was taken with a hi-speed SD card? The pic are really nice, too IMHO. The colors are awesone and when I compare the large uncompressed versionsof the picture of the pirate ship playgound, it looks as good as most 4MP camera's pics. Icompare the sharpness of the palm tree fronds above the gazebo like structure for focusing ability.The side of the ship and the color of the slide for color accuracy.

Purple fringing I don't think would bother me as I rarely take night scenery shots. I don't know howPF affects people shots taken at night?All in all , sounds like the perfect camera for my needs. Still would like to get more than one reliable review.

Still think the s410 pics are marginally but noticeably a blt better

Steve
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:34 PM   #3

Great review Steve, couldn't agree more.

Some on other forums seem to want to slate the sd300, but even those reviewers who have some criticisms of PF and focus in corners still give the camera their best buy recommendation- tells you something about how the plus points outweigh any negatives.
OssettBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:13 AM   #4

I was trying to decide between the Optio S5i and Casio EX-Z55, and all of a sudden came across the SD-300 and its killer recording features..whoa!!!

Unfortunately, the only problem I have is its LACK of downloadability to the Mac. Can you say s__t!!!!

I don't get it. Just about every camera out there downloads to either pc or Mac platforms, but not THIS smokin' little babe. This is so aggravating, and I'd like to shoot the chap who dropped the ball on this one.

Aaarghh!!!
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:48 AM   #5
smc

That's a major bummer about the Mac's. I use to be a huge Mac-o-phile. I'm not doubting you but where did you read that? . I didn't read the entire review on this website, just the parts that were pertinent to me.

Aren't card readers pretty inexpensive?

Steve

Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:41 AM   #6

Steve,

I read it under the specs, but you're right, a card reader would probably solve the issue. I just read a sorta mixed review of the SD-300 over on dcresource. The reviewer said he liked the camera overall, but felt the pic quality went slightly downhill..especially compared to the S410. I'd be curious to know how the SD-300's pics compare to S5i's overall. I'll tell ya, though, that movie capability is awesome!

thanks for the reply,

Ran
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:27 PM   #7

Hi folks, i have a Ixus500 and Ixus40 sat at home as soon as i heard about the Ixus40 i bought one everything about the camera is perfect except the pic quality its quite noisy in low light or a cloudy day.

I have taken some pics set 1 Ixus500 set 2 Ixus40 please let me know what you think.

Set1
http://www.aqsi45.dsl.pipex.com/ixus11.JPG
http://www.aqsi45.dsl.pipex.com/ixus14.JPG
Set2
http://www.aqsi45.dsl.pipex.com/ixus21.JPG
http://www.aqsi45.dsl.pipex.com/ixus24.JPG
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:01 PM   #8
smc

This is a great test. I don't know what sdxxx represents thethe IXUS 500 or the IXUS 40. I think its quite noticeable that the 500 pics looks better than the 40. I gonna guess and say that's a s410. I think the 40 is a sd200. I say this because theresolution is higher on the 500. The thing that surprises me is the color of the wall in the backyard. The 40 's color are a little muted and the 500 is alittle too bold. I always thought Canon's has some of the best color reproduction around and thatbothcameraswould be the same. I don't know how much you set up the photo but I really want a camera to point and shoot and give me the best pic possible. I think the exposure time for the 40must have beenless than the 500. I changed my mind and rewrote this- like the 500 pics better.Yup. the 500 is alot sharper.This was fun; either pic would be acceptable to me.

In regards to the s5i, I'll still say that Canon (Sony,too) pics are a litlle sharper and are colored nicer. To me you are getting a lot of good new technology with sd200/300, video, scene modes, focusing, neglible shutter lag and great speed. I need all the help I can get and sometimes just " having(small)" or "getting(fast)" the shot is more important than a little better resolution (s410). People will oh and ah at your pics with the sd series and unless you have a side by side shot with a (rare) superior camera I don't think anyone will notice.

After rereading your post , the 40 is either a sd200 or sd300
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:30 PM   #9

theranman wrote:
Quote:
I was trying to decide between the Optio S5i and Casio EX-Z55, and all of a sudden came across the SD-300 and its killer recording features..whoa!!!

Unfortunately, the only problem I have is its LACK of downloadability to the Mac. Can you say s__t!!!!

I don't get it. Just about every camera out there downloads to either pc or Mac platforms, but not THIS smokin' little babe. This is so aggravating, and I'd like to shoot the chap who dropped the ball on this one.

Aaarghh!!!
Don't know where you read that but don't believe what you read. I have a SD-300. It arrived yesterday from B&H. Took a bunch of test picts, attached the USB cable to my Powerbook 12 from the camera and iPhoto launched. Clicked import and all the picts downloaded.
charlesfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:55 AM   #10

smc wrote:
Quote:
This is a great test. I don't know what sdxxx represents thethe IXUS 500 or the IXUS 40. I think its quite noticeable that the 500 pics looks better than the 40. I gonna guess and say that's a s410. I think the 40 is a sd200. I say this because theresolution is higher on the 500. The thing that surprises me is the color of the wall in the backyard. The 40 's color are a little muted and the 500 is alittle too bold. I always thought Canon's has some of the best color reproduction around and thatbothcameraswould be the same. I don't know how much you set up the photo but I really want a camera to point and shoot and give me the best pic possible. I think the exposure time for the 40must have beenless than the 500. I changed my mind and rewrote this- like the 500 pics better.Yup. the 500 is alot sharper.This was fun; either pic would be acceptable to me.

In regards to the s5i, I'll still say that Canon (Sony,too) pics are a litlle sharper and are colored nicer. To me you are getting a lot of good new technology with sd200/300, video, scene modes, focusing, neglible shutter lag and great speed. I need all the help I can get and sometimes just " having(small)" or "getting(fast)" the shot is more important than a little better resolution (s410). People will oh and ah at your pics with the sd series and unless you have a side by side shot with a (rare) superior camera I don't think anyone will notice.

After rereading your post , the 40 is either a sd200 or sd300
Ixus40=SD300 , IXUS500=S500

Both sets of photos were taken in automatic mode in the same resolution settings, the Ixus40 photos seems very grainy to me, its a shame as everything else about it is perfect.

deanos is offline   Reply With Quote