Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:19 AM   #11

Default Re: Shots of the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaug
>>did you end up returning your camera? post some pictures of the beach<<

Yeah, I sent it to Canon repair in IL (their only Digital Camera repair center). Hopefully they can get it working again or give me a new one. As soon as I get something back I'll walk down to Waikiki and shot some stuff.
Wow...how long will it take for them to fix it? If all goes well, I will be picking up an S230 this friday!
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:23 AM   #12

Wow the Canon really did perform as well as the 7i in the daytime shot. However I looked at your unbanded image and noticed a lot of motion blur. Was her hand really setting the glass down that fast to get such motion blur. I've taken similar shots with my trusty old Kodak DC3400 and never gotten motion blur in those kinds of situations. I've noticed that G3 users seem to be experiencing the same problem as I have with the S230.
BCobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 3:59 PM   #13

As for the motion blur in my unbanded shot. It was shot at night, indoors with no flash, at a forced ISO 100 to maximize color and minimize image noise/grain. And my personal aesthics favor slective blurs, motion or otherwise. But you can set your ISO higher (or AUTO) for low-light situations. I haven't tried anything as high as 800 but I do plan to test it (when I get my S230 back that is).

I don't know what Kodak did with the DC3400. Was your ISO set to auto (in which case it would probably capture at 800 or higher to compensate) and/or did you use auto fill flash a lot?

I don't know how long Canon will take to repair my S230

The don't issue you an RMA nor give you a phone number to call their Powershot repair facility in Hanover Park, IL. I hope it won't take too much time, considering the holidays are fast approaching. I'll post updates concerning the repair story as I'm sure y'all want to know how it goes should your Powershot need repair.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:38 AM   #14

Hi guys, i am thinking of buying an s230 but i've read several reviews stating its red-eye function to be less than stellar. Can any owners of this camera please tell me if it's true and how bad it is?
disinterested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 4:25 PM   #15

Default Poweshot S230 Repair

>>
Quote:
I don't know how long Canon will take to repair my S230

The don't issue you an RMA nor give you a phone number to call their Powershot repair facility in Hanover Park, IL. I hope it won't take too much time, considering the holidays are fast approaching. I'll post updates concerning the repair story as I'm sure y'all want to know how it goes should your Powershot need repair.
<<

Just got back from Thanksgiving vacation. Canon replaced my S230 with a new one, sending it to me via FedEx on the 22nd. So I got it just in time for my vacation!

So they took a little less than a week. I had to call them myself ti find out they were sending me a replacement. While it would have been nice to get some sort of RMA or be able to track the status via a web page, I can't fault them the fast turn-around. FYI, be sure to include your phone number if you have to return you camera to Canon as they track the return using it.

It took great shots over Thanksgiving. Am getting them printed on Ofoto to see how they turn out v. my Minolta Dimage 7. When I get a chance, I'll post a beach shot of Waikiki with the S230.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 4:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobra99
I purchased this camera and was highly disapointed with the focusing quality. Granted the LED screen was excellent, far superior to any camera I have seen on the market. It is also the perfect size to fit nicely in your pocket! However I had a huge problem with focusing correctly in low light places. The general subject was in focus, but the backgrounds were often pretty blurry.
This sounds like a depth of field issue. Wider aperature == shallower depth of field. Also, longer focal length at a given aperature == shallower depth of field. If this is the "problem", then you need to use smaller aperature. You need more light. Try slower shutter. Or, try a faster ISO.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by disinterested
Hi guys, i am thinking of buying an s230 but i've read several reviews stating its red-eye function to be less than stellar. Can any owners of this camera please tell me if it's true and how bad it is?
The red eye can be brutal, the red eye flash mode helps but there is no getting around how close the flash is to the lens on a small camera like this. I purchased mine primarily for the portability, and figured I would be using the red-eye tool in Photoshop on my flash shots.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:22 AM   #18

Default Re: Awesome camera. DOH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog123
post some pictures of the beach
Well Gdog123, here are those beach pix you requested. The first 2 images in the gallery are a shot of Waikiki beach taken with my S230 and with my Minolta Dimage 7. It's a good example of how good a S230's image is compared with a camera twice it's price and nearly twice it's resultion.

http://www.pbase.com/moondaug/honolulu_marathon
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:26 AM   #19

Default Re: Awesome camera. DOH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog123
post some pictures of the beach
Well Gdog123, here are those beach pix you requested. The first 2 images in the gallery are a shot of Waikiki beach taken with my S230 and with my Minolta Dimage 7. It's a good example of how good a S230's image is compared with a camera twice it's price and nearly twice it's resultion.

http://www.pbase.com/moondaug/honolulu_marathon
Dayum...nice shot of the beach! :shock: Thanks for the post! I definately like the S230 picture over the Dimage 7...
Old Dec 9, 2002, 2:30 AM   #20

Any more shots of the Mavs girls? :shock: 8)