Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 14, 2004, 5:51 AM   #1

The firmware of some Canon cameras has some limitations that seem completely arbitrary. For example, with many models you can take at most 180 seconds of video at resolutions 320x240 and 160x120, and at most 30 seconds of video at resolution 640x480. Marketing reasons, maybe?
Well, anyway. I managed to make a firmware modification that increases the 30 second limit of 640x480 resolution video to 180 seconds. The mod is currently available for the following cameras:

Canon Powershot A70
Canon Powershot A75
Canon Powershot S230 (also known as Canon Digital IXUS v3)
It seems like the Powershot SD100 (Digital IXUS II) might be modifiable also.

visit:

http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/

greenbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:58 PM   #2

greenbul wrote:
Quote:
The firmware of some Canon cameras has some limitations that seem completely arbitrary. For example, with many models you can take at most 180 seconds of video at resolutions 320x240 and 160x120, and at most 30 seconds of video at resolution 640x480. Marketing reasons, maybe?
Well...except, the competitors from Sony (and others) don't have that limitation... if someone was buying one of these, this limitation is a huge negative comapred to the competitors' cameras... Canon is making a mistake with the limits! I don't know what the hell they are trying to accomplish (for example the Canon Powershot S1 IS is supposed to only record 1GB max but why? note: I haven't tested if this is actually true)...

Anyway... thanks for the hacks... I don't have those cameras but I hope someone finds them useful... the only thing is: has anyone tested the hacks properly?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:41 AM   #3

Sony doesn'h have such limit but the file size in 640x480 is so big that you can record only about 2 mins on 512mb card. On Canon a75 you can record about 9mins!
greenbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:02 AM   #4
sdh

That's not quite correct. I have a sony W1, which records ~6 mins of video on a 512 MB mem stick in 640x480 @ 30 fps. Though there's at least one thread (in the Sony fourm here) which asserts that sony's 640x480 movie mode is actually an interpolated 320x240, which might reduce bit use.:evil:
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:29 AM   #5

Hi greenbul,

Would the same hack work on a G6? It has the same arbitrary limitation ... and I have a 4 GB microdrive that I'd like to be able to max out ...

- A
acfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:06 PM   #6

acfou wrote:
Quote:
Hi greenbul,

Would the same hack work on a G6? It has the same arbitrary limitation ... and I have a 4 GB microdrive that I'd like to be able to max out ...

- A
Firmware is always specific to a specific hardware device (this is basically the data that is used to boot up and control the camera). You can't use a firmware for one camera on another.

Someone might be able to hack the G6, if that has an arbitrary movie size limit, but you have to make sure it is a hack for the G6...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:23 AM   #7

Hi, all. I don't know if the issue was discussed here or not,
but looks like limitations we are talking about come
from limitations of OS (or something) they (Canon guys)
use to do the stuff
For this matter, did anybody hear about that OS they use in A75?
I know that for higher cameras (like Rebel) they use ROM-DOS
(see: http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...icks.html#what):!:
konic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:21 AM   #8

I don't even know in what way the cameras store the movies. Like....does the video information get stored completely into a memory chip first, and then later transferred to the compact flash card? Or does the video information get written directly to the compact flash card? I can understand if the video time time is limited by chip memory. But if it isn't limited by chip memory or anything, then it's a real no brainer to limit the video time.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:59 PM   #9

Hi, everybody, I have a question for greenbul, but if anybody can answer too, please do it. I can't understand how can I get the software for the A75 filmware update. And can I record my videos with unlimeted (while limit is only memory)leght and another video and for examle MP3 audio codec? If anyone can give me a link, thanks.
Nick/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote