Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 21, 2002, 2:46 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1
Default s30 vs s230

The Canon S30 and S230 interest me , I hope I can get one as my first DC.

Except the manual control feature and 3x len, is the S30 better than S230 in other hand?

Thanks
EB-No is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2002, 5:58 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 41
Default

The S30 has a lot more manual functions than the S230...also, it has 3x optical zoom and speaker to boot. I was considering purchasing either an S30/S40...but now I have read and heard all this great news about the new 3MP S230...I can't resist I am going to get one ASAP. The S230 apparently has some new tweaks, such as a DIGIC imaging processor for better images, speed, battery life...
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:11 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 14
Default

I just bought my first DC (a Canon S30) last week and am astonished at how easy the camera is to use. It has tons of features which I need to relearn from my SLR days but it is a camera my wife can use. I have taken a number of indoor pictures in AutoShoot mode just "playing around" with it and the clarity is great. Quite frankly I've scrutinize all the pictures looking for "halos" or "pixel distortions" that I have read abour but I cannot see any. I love it.

I would imagine the S230 is also just as good. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I picked the S30 because I always like to have new electronic gear on the market for a little while before purchasing.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:42 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 11
Default

S30 is the bomb diggity. I would rather have more control then a point and shoot S230. It all depends though. I haven't really seen any big improvement from an S30 shot to a S230 shot.
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:52 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 41
Default

In my opinion, the S30 and S230 cannot be compared. They are in 2 different classes. The s230 is more a compact point and shoot, the S30 has wayyy more manual features. It boggles my mind when people try to compare the 2 based on 3megapixels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB
S30 is the bomb diggity. I would rather have more control then a point and shoot S230. It all depends though. I haven't really seen any big improvement from an S30 shot to a S230 shot.
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 9:06 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 55
Default

I have a new S230, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! It's been on my belt constantly for the last almost 3 weeks.

I also have a G1, G2, S20 and Nikon 5000. And a G3 on order with expected delivery next week (here in Canada).

The new processor in the S230 is terrific and I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Asia and there were shots that I could not (easily) do with the G2 that worked like a charm with the S230. Yes of course there are not as many manual controls on the S230 as on the G2 or other cameras but there are enough in my opinion. And in my opinion if I had to choose ONLY ONE camera to have, right now it would be the S230. Primarily because of the new processor (and logic) in the camera, but certainly also because of the size and battery life.

The shots I had a real hard time with using the G2 were night portrait shots with the Hong Kong city skyline in the background. A flash exposure was needed for the foreground and a long exposure for the background. Both cameras have that ability, but I had an incredibly hard and frustrating time getting the focus correct with the G2. The best results were obtained by using manual focusing, but even then they weren't perfect. The S230 handled the shots with EASE, and the results are better than with the G2. I attribute that to the new logic and ability of the camera to determine correct focus for off-center objects. Really, the results were better with the S230. (And I know cameras and digital cameras.)

I am hoping that the G3 will have AS GOOD logic (hopefully even better).

Let me tell you, the size and features of the S230 make it an incredible camera! Check it out carefully before you make your decision. And when you're done testing the features and results, do one more thing... slip it into one of your front jeans pockets. Then decide.

Hope this helps.

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:22 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 41
Default

Nice to hear, great little review Tim. Where did you buy your S230 in Canada from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD27
I have a new S230, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! It's been on my belt constantly for the last almost 3 weeks.

I also have a G1, G2, S20 and Nikon 5000. And a G3 on order with expected delivery next week (here in Canada).

The new processor in the S230 is terrific and I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Asia and there were shots that I could not (easily) do with the G2 that worked like a charm with the S230. Yes of course there are not as many manual controls on the S230 as on the G2 or other cameras but there are enough in my opinion. And in my opinion if I had to choose ONLY ONE camera to have, right now it would be the S230. Primarily because of the new processor (and logic) in the camera, but certainly also because of the size and battery life.

The shots I had a real hard time with using the G2 were night portrait shots with the Hong Kong city skyline in the background. A flash exposure was needed for the foreground and a long exposure for the background. Both cameras have that ability, but I had an incredibly hard and frustrating time getting the focus correct with the G2. The best results were obtained by using manual focusing, but even then they weren't perfect. The S230 handled the shots with EASE, and the results are better than with the G2. I attribute that to the new logic and ability of the camera to determine correct focus for off-center objects. Really, the results were better with the S230. (And I know cameras and digital cameras.)

I am hoping that the G3 will have AS GOOD logic (hopefully even better).

Let me tell you, the size and features of the S230 make it an incredible camera! Check it out carefully before you make your decision. And when you're done testing the features and results, do one more thing... slip it into one of your front jeans pockets. Then decide.

Hope this helps.

Tim
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:37 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 55
Default

I bought my S230 from my regular dealer in Montreal. ImagePoint (formerly called York International) on St. Catherine St. They've usually matched mail-order prices for me and their service (dealing with Stewart) has been very good.

Thanks for the kind words about my review. I am really hooked on digital, and the convenience of the small S230 is fabulous. And I really hope the G3 logic will be as advanced as on the S230. If so I will be quite happy with it. And if it's better (probably will be) I'll be thrilled.

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:24 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD27
I bought my S230 from my regular dealer in Montreal. ImagePoint (formerly called York International) on St. Catherine St. They've usually matched mail-order prices for me and their service (dealing with Stewart) has been very good.

Thanks for the kind words about my review. I am really hooked on digital, and the convenience of the small S230 is fabulous. And I really hope the G3 logic will be as advanced as on the S230. If so I will be quite happy with it. And if it's better (probably will be) I'll be thrilled.

Tim
Can you post some pictures? I might go and purchase the S230 this weekend... :P
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:21 AM.