Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:36 PM   #1

I recently purchased a SD200. I've been playing around with it, trying to get used to the settings and what not. For some reason, I'm unable to get shutter speeds faster than 1/202sec.

I am tryingto take pictures of water drops, and I'm getting pretty close but nothing faster than 1/202sec. I can manually set the shutter speeds from -2sec to 15sec.

How do I get faster shutter speeds??Thx in advance.
jsr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:56 AM   #2

I'm wondering this too

BTW, I love the S14/15's
wrxer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:00 AM   #3

wrxer12 wrote:
Quote:
*snip*
BTW, I love the S14/15's
The nissan silvia S14/S15? This isn't a car forum. This is a camera forum.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:08 AM   #4

jsr20det wrote:
Quote:
I recently purchased a SD200. I've been playing around with it, trying to get used to the settings and what not. For some reason, I'm unable to get shutter speeds faster than 1/202sec.

I am trying to take pictures of water drops, and I'm getting pretty close but nothing faster than 1/202sec. I can manually set the shutter speeds from -2sec to 15sec.

How do I get faster shutter speeds??Thx in advance.
So you went through the manual and your camera won't allow you to select faster shutter speeds right? This camera should allow you to get down to 1/1500 second shutter time.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Administrator

The camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure of the image. This will depend on three factors: ISO speed (which controls the sensitivity of the sensor to light), Aperture (the size of the iris openingthat lets light through to to sensor), and EV (Exposure Value, which is a scale for light measurement).

Your model's largest available aperture (f.2.8 ) will be at the wide angle lens setting, and the camera's autoexposurewillchoose it in lower light (but it may select a smaller aperture if light is better). If you can increase light levels, that will help, to a point. Another thing to try is increasing ISO speed (which will add noise).

Basically, just because a camera *can* use faster shutter speeds, doesn't mean that it *will* use faster shutter speeds. You'll need a lot of light before the camera will need to use shutter speeds that are as fast as available -- for example,direct sunlight reflecting off ofsand at the beach. The camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure, since faster shutter speeds would result in underexposed photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:39 PM   #6

oh I see. So this camera doesn't have full manual mode maybe right? Doesn't sound like it has shutter priority either. aha! That makes sense now.