Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:39 AM   #11

Wow! Now I can't decide whether to get the C-50 or the S230!

It looks like the C-50 is almost as small as the S230 and I get the 3X zoom (not to mention a plethora of other manual features) and 5 megapixels!

At this rate I am never going to get my camera.

Scora
Scora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scora
Wow! Now I can't decide whether to get the C-50 or the S230!

It looks like the C-50 is almost as small as the S230 and I get the 3X zoom (not to mention a plethora of other manual features) and 5 megapixels!

At this rate I am never going to get my camera.

Scora
get the S230, new technology with the DIGIC processor!
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 10:21 AM   #13

To Hegisin,

Sorry, but I haven't really examined the Olympus C-50, but other models I looked at just didn't do it for me. And I've been VERY happy with Canon products, having owned a G1, G2, G3, S20 and S230 (and a bunch of Kodaks and Nikons).

As to your other question about the small printer... I have the Canon CP-10 and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I travel often, and only with one carry-on bag, and now I take my S230 and G3 (used to take the G2) and the CP-10. My hobby is photography and with that printer I've found that the response I get is fabulous. For example, in places where people are somewhat shy, I first take a photo and show them on the LCD screen. Then come back 20 minutes later and give them a print of the photo. They love it! And suddenly everyone wants their picture taken. Yes it can get expensive, but I don't mind that and really like the way people warm up to the photography once they see a print.

After I bought the CP-10 I found out that the media for the CP-100 is actually quite a bit cheaper and with that you have the option of 4" x 6" prints as well as the credit-card size ones. But the printer itself is larger, and therefore harder to take along (when every square inch of the luggage is accounted for).

And of course the printer works only with Canon cameras, and does not need a computer for printing.

Hope this helps...

Tim (in Canada)
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 8:42 PM   #14

How about the shutter lag between both? Do they have the same speed or the s330 is faster? Also, the time between shot, how long does it take for both to write on the CF card. I know it depends on the size of the image and the capacity of the card, but under the same conditions.
kpmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 9:11 PM   #15

The shutter lag is VERY minimal...this little camera is FAST! I am using a Lexar 12x 256MB, and it makes difference....

www.pbase.com/gdog123

my test shots!
Old Nov 22, 2002, 9:35 PM   #16

Thank you for your input. Believe it or not but shutter speed is one of my priority. I have the Olympus D40 and it takes seem like eternity to capture a shot, and if the object just move slightly it would turn out blurry. Also the smart media of D40 is another drawback, despite it gives extremely nice pictures. I try to compare the image between s230 and s330 but doesn't seem much different. Which camera would give a better image quality, regarding the details, focus and all those stuffs. I have read all the reviews, now I just need personal experience/opinion from other owners. Thanks
kpmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 4:05 AM   #17

Default S230 versus c-50z

I went to best buy today so I could look at and compare the s230 and the c-50z (size, look, feel).

the s230 just feels more solid. That Oly clam-shell design scares me. I have had too many friends have probs with this 35mm oly to be very confident in that design.

Still, 3X zoom, 5 megapixel, ARG! What to do?

Scora
Scora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 5:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmd
Thank you for your input. Believe it or not but shutter speed is one of my priority. I have the Olympus D40 and it takes seem like eternity to capture a shot, and if the object just move slightly it would turn out blurry. Also the smart media of D40 is another drawback, despite it gives extremely nice pictures. I try to compare the image between s230 and s330 but doesn't seem much different. Which camera would give a better image quality, regarding the details, focus and all those stuffs. I have read all the reviews, now I just need personal experience/opinion from other owners. Thanks
As for comparisons between S230 and S330...I would believe the S230 would have better pictures, as it has the new DIGIC processor which produces better pictures, is faster, and uses battery life a bit better. The new 9pt auto focus is pretty useful, it can detect what you are framing on the LCD and focus correctly most of the time. Another plus I think, is the usage of Compact Flash cards as a storage medium. Prices are falling fast on cards now, so there are deals out there. I have a Lexar 12x 256MB...and the S230 utilizes the card very well!

The S230 is very fast, compared to my old Kodak DC3400...that camera took great pictures, but the shutter lag was horrendous!

Scora: I think the build of the S230 is very solid. Stainless steel all around, except for the CF door. The best part of the S230 is its size I think...being able to take it anywhere and not have it weigh you down is great. I know you give up maybe an extra 1x zoom, but for a pocket 3MP digicam, i don't think I could ask for more. Especially with the camera's new 3 minute videos...arggh i love this camera!!!! :P