Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:49 AM   #1

so i just bought a Canon G5 (well, it hasn't arrived yet)
and i need to know what accessories i might need, what types, etc. this is my first digital camera so i'm not going to run off and buy add-on lenses, what i need to know is the "essential" accessories.
example: i'm sure i' gonna need a memory card. what are good types? approximately how many pics will the 32M that comes with it take given they're high quality medium sized images?

anything else?
thanks.
moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:23 AM   #2

... calling all G5 (or similar) users!!! :lol:

just tell me what you found necessary to get for your camera.

from what i read in this forum i found that :

1- 32M memory is not enough, i'd like to know just how much is 32M in terms of number of images, to be able to decide what i need. edit : i found an answer to that question here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerS...3.html?tag=tab

2- G5 has a problem with the lens cap falling off. i did read some suggestions on how to deal with that but i need details.

3- some people complained that dust got in their lenses. solution was to use a lens filter. what's that? what is a suitable one for the G5?

4- anything else you found that you needed to protect/enhance your camera?

edit: adding a couple more silly questions (i AM a digital camera newbie :lol:

- what's the battery's lifetime? does it come with a charger or will i need to buy one?

- data transfer: is the accomanying USB cable good enough or are there better options out there?

Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:56 PM   #3
Administrator

moonstone wrote:
Quote:
... calling all G5 (or similar) users!!! :lol:
Well, I don't own a G5, but I'll take a stab at it since it sounds like you're in a hurry.

Quote:
just tell me what you found necessary to get for your camera.

from what i read in this forum i found that :

1- 32M memory is not enough, i'd like to know just how much is 32M in terms of number of images, to be able to decide what i need. edit : i found an answer to that question here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_G5/4507-6501_7-21256373.html?tag=tab
Yes, 32mb is not very much.Chances are, you'll get more "bang for the buck" right now with newer high speed 1GB cards. You can find something like the Sandisk Ultra II 1GB, or Lexar 80X1GB CompactflashCards for around $99.00 now from many online vendors (but, check each vendor's reputation carefully). Here are some examples:

Sandisk Ultra II 1GB:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-SanDis...pactFlash_Card

Lexar 80x 1GB:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Lexar_...X_CompactFlash

Quote:
2- G5 has a problem with the lens cap falling off. i did read some suggestions on how to deal with that but i need details.
Well, I'm not sure how the Canon Lens Cap works. So, perhaps others will share their experience with it.

If you decide to go with an adapter tube for filters, then you can find a variety of tethered lens caps that should work (just make sure to get the correct size) I prefer the one's with an elastic band that fits around the lens barrel.

Quote:
3- some people complained that dust got in their lenses. solution was to use a lens filter. what's that? what is a suitable one for the G5?
Well, I haven't heard of a dust problem with the G5 (but in a dusty environment, anything is possible). I guess the adapter tube could help keep dust away from any openings around the lens and this would also help protect the lens mechanism.

If you're concerned about it, you'll need to buy either Canon's Optional Conversion Lens Adapter LA-DC58B (designed to let you use 58mm filters), or one of the third party adapters designed for this model.

Lens Mate adapter tubes are popular, and are available to let you use either 52mm or 58mm size lens accessories and filters. The 52mm adapters are popular, because you have less blockage of the viewfinder, flash and focus assist lamp (but they will only work with conversion lenses that have a 52mm thread size).

http://www.lensmateonline.com/G3.html

I'd suggest buying a UV Filter with this type of adapter to protect the lens (in the correct size for the adapter you buy -- either 52mm or 58mm). You will also find tethered lens caps available in these sizes.

Quote:
edit: adding a couple more silly questions (i AM a digital camera newbie :lol:

- what's the battery's lifetime? does it come with a charger or will i need to buy one?
This will depend on how you use the camera. If the LCD remains on, battery time will be less, if you use flash a lot and keep the LCD on, battery time will be less, etc.

The BP-511 is actually a very good battery. From tests I've seen, it will last for over 400 photos if most are taken without flash with the LCD off. With the LCD on, and using more flash, the battery life will decrease.

This camera comes with an A/C adapter that doubles as a charger (the battery charges in camera). So, you don't have to worry about a separate charger (although there is an external charger available, if you want to buy a spare battery soyou cancharge it at the same time).

Quote:
- data transfer: is the accomanying USB cable good enough or are there better options out there?
I'd buy a USB 2.0 Card Reader if you want faster transfers. These are very inexpensive now. But, some users are fine with the transfer speed from the camera itself.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 1:12 AM   #4

hey, thanks!
actually yes , i am in a hurry. this camera is not sold where i live so i asked a friend to get it for me from the states. he's coming next month so i need to tell him what else to get a.s.a.p so that he gets enough time to buy it. (and no - for many reasons i cannot buy those things myself from online stores )

i think i know what to get now. thanks again!:lol: