Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:39 PM   #1

Hello,

I want to buy the Canon PowerShot A95, but i need some help (i'm novice with digital cameras).

I've chosen this camera because it takes the best photographs in the range of 5Mp cameras. But, in some sample photos of "steve's digicams" site (and others sites) there is some purple fringing. So, this is because the photos of review websites (such steve's) are taken in extreme conditions or this is a problem that appears in every photo? How do you minimize (or avoid) purple fringing without using Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc...?

I don't know if i worry too much...

Thanks...
Xenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:42 AM   #2

It doesn't matter. I've already bought it.
Xenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:35 PM   #3

For people who wonder the same thing... Here is a gallery where I tested how the A95 reacted when under certain settings in regards of PF and also noise at the different ISO. You'll see that its not too dramatic, except on the picture taken at ISO 100 and F2.8... At F2.8(any ISO), there is some PF, but its easy to reduce or to make it dissapear when u use a smaller aperture(bigger F number). Keep in mind that branches from trees are quite hard for PF on a camera.

http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c343808.html

Here are some more normal pics taken with the A95.

http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:46 AM   #4

Hi,
While you're in the topic..I hope you don't mind me asking this as well.
I just got the A95 today and was using it with normal AA batts. Problem is, the lcd seems to be very grainy and flickering right from the start! The cam I used to test in the shop wasn't like this at all.

I thought it was due to digital zoom, but its apparently set to off. Can someone comment? Did I miss something in the set-up or is it perhaps the AA batts are weak? (the warning lights beside the optical viewer doesn't light up)

I hope someone can help here. Thank you so much
ct_jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:10 AM   #5

Well, I don't consider my LCD screen to be grainy... sure enough it is a little bit, but the grains are very very small and its barely noticeable. I am not sure if its because the batteries are weak, I doubt that would be it since the camera will shut off when the batteries are too low. Perhaps you have a lemon and I suggest you go back to the shop and see another camera to compare it to.

Also, I suggest that you never use alkaline AA batteries unless you're NiMH batteries died and you don't have another spare set. The reasons for that is very simple. My alkaline batteries lasted between 40 and 50 shots(more on the low end of 40), whereas, my NiMH batteries on their 1st use(meaning they weren't full power, normally should be closer to 400) lasted a little above 200 shots. Already that makes the NiMH batteries more convenient and probably that their cost is similar to the alkaline batteries after1 use. Now, the NiMH batteries can be recharged between 500 and 1000 times, so alkaline batteries just are no match for them; think of the environnement and the number of alkaline batteries that you'd waste.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:02 AM   #6
Administrator

ct_jem wrote:
Quote:

Hi,
While you're in the topic..I hope you don't mind me asking this as well.
I just got the A95 today and was using it with normal AA batts. Problem is, the lcd seems to be very grainy and flickering right from the start! The cam I used to test in the shop wasn't like this at all.

I thought it was due to digital zoom, but its apparently set to off. Can someone comment? Did I miss something in the set-up or is it perhaps the AA batts are weak? (the warning lights beside the optical viewer doesn't light up)

I hope someone can help here. Thank you so much
You're probably looking at it in lower light than you had in the shop.

In low light, the CCD photostites don't have enough light hitting them to generate a good enough signal to drive the display. So, it must wait longer for the individual "wells" to fill on the photosites before reading the signal from them between frames -- hence they use a slower refresh rate.

Many cameras use two techniques to let you see the LCD betterin low light. They "gain up" the CCD (amplify it's signal -- just like using a higher ISO speed), which is why it looks so grainy in low light, and they also slow the refresh rate down (which is probably the flicker you're noticing).

If they did not use these two techniques, your display would be dark as light got lower (imagine trying to take a photo in low light indoors at 1/30 second and ISO 50 with no flash -- you'd get a dark photo). This is what you'd see on an LCD if you tried to refresh the display at 30 frames per second and did not gain up the signal.

As a result, some models that don't gain up the signal from the CCD and slow the refresh rate down, become totally unusable in low light (their displays become too dark to see).

I don't own your model, but I suspect that you're seeing normal camera behavior if you're looking at it indoors. Try it in better light outdoors and see if the problem goes away.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:03 PM   #7

I can confirm this, mine is definately grainier in lower light. Still a great piece of kit for the price and it's "beginner" staus though! Good luck with yours mate.

All the best...Pickles
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:19 PM   #8

Oh wow, thanks all for the replies. I was testing it indoors last evening in fluorescent light and it wasn't very bright.

True enough when I tried it again this morning against the bright daylight from my windows, the problem went away.

Nevertheless I shall go grab me NiMH batts today so I could test it even better.

Thanks all!
ct_jem is offline   Reply With Quote