Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 29, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1

My wife dropped our camera about 4 feet onto a ceramic tile-over-concrete floor. The battery door does not fully close, nor does the CF door latch on one end. Replacement parts seem to be available for around $60. Two questions: 1) Is dismantling (and re-assembly) of this camera feasible for the common tinkerer? Special tools? 2) Should I be more concerned with the possible unseen damage of the internals? It seems to work OK, and the pictures look OK. Should I try to repair or buy a new camera? I think sending away to a shop would definately swing the balance to "buy new." Thanks for your comments.
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:29 PM   #2

Since you say that the camera seems to work fine, I say just use it as it is, while trying to fix it yourself (without breaking anything or voiding the warranty or something--not that the warranty would help)... Repairing would probably cost $50 to $100 (or more) and it doesn't seem to be worth it, given that the camera works and you can probably buy a new camera in one year for $200 with more features...

Try fixing it yourself... save the money... buy a new camera in 1 to 2 years :idea:
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks, makes sense. I was hoping to hear from someone who has had a camera apart and put back together again. Successfully. :-)
Davo is offline   Reply With Quote