Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:19 PM   #1

:?

Hello

I just purchased canon SD300 and noticed that it makes funny sounds on start up and shut down mode. I figured i would get some noise from the shutter but it sounds more like a grinding everytime the lens opens and closes. Plus I'm getting a rattling from the inside of the camera everytime i shake it. I wouldthink that if I'm paying $400 it wouldn't produce a rattling and grinding camera.Please let me know if anyone is exp this result. I'm planning on RMA it back from newegg.com but was wondering if its just mine. I did run up to best buy and noticed that theyhad the same results but I was hoping that it wasjust the floor samples doing that.

chuckkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:25 PM   #2

i also have the camera and i notice the same sounds that you do.

i think the noise on start up and shut down is the same noise that you get when you focus so i am not worried about that and the noise that i get from shakming it is only when i shake it violently andi dont expect to do that too often.

if your shaking noise is bad then return it but if it isnt that noticable then i wouldnt worry about it.
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:21 AM   #3

I think the rattling noise is the sensor that detects what way up you camera is my Ixus 500 did the same and my SD300 also does this its only a small rattle noise mind you.

It also makes the noise when focusing same as my IXus500 did i dont think there is anythhing to worry about.
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:13 PM   #4

My SD200 makes the same noises... (the orientation sensor does rattle slightly when I rotate the camera next to my ear. The lens seems to make a little crackle when turning on and off. Seems normal to me now that there are four of us commenting on it.
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:40 PM   #5

what is this orientation sensor? The SD300 I looked at sounded like a baby rattle.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:11 AM   #6

When you take a photo in portrait or landscape it automaticaly rotates it when you view it back on the screen so its the right way up.
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:04 PM   #7

The Orientation Sensor is very much like a baby rattle :lol:

It's a little ball inside the camera that, through gravity, rolls to one spot or another to tell the camera which way it's rotated (this is why it doesn't work so well when the camera is pointed straight up or down).
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:17 PM   #8

Hi, i also purchased the sd300, and i experience the same problem. the only thing is, i dont remember it making that noise when i first bought it. when i turned it on yesterday, my finger happened to be in front of the lens, nothing forceful, but i remember it struggled for a split sec, and i moved my finger out of the way. do you think i did any permanant damage? or is that the way it always sounds..

this is what it sounds like:

it turns on, you can hear the gear pushing out the lens, not loud at all, sounds professional, then at the end of the lens coming out, it makes 2 distinct similar noises, now try this soom in on something into the digital soom, say 3.0x or more, and when you hold down the button halfway it makes a very similar noise....

anyone??
teknomeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:53 PM   #9

My SD200 make sounds exactly as you've described (as do the SD200 and SD300 demo units at my work). Looks like they're normal operating sounds (almost like small clicking/grinding/gear-stripped noises).

Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:07 PM   #10

oh? work at a retail store with digital cameras?
teknomeng is offline   Reply With Quote