Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:17 PM   #1

What are you guys using for your Canon S1 IS? I'm looking at bags and nothing really stands out...

I want a bag that is weatherproof (snow and rain), is as small as possible while being able to hold the camera+1 pack of batteries+1 extra CF memory card. I also want a strap that I can use on my shoulder (I don't want a belt pouch or any of those bags)...

While I'm at it, does anyone know how to do a hardware reset on the Canon S1 IS? I want to reset everything and erase all the settings...

Thanks!
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:22 AM   #2

I use a Lowepro Nova Mini AW. It's weather proof(it even has a small deployable built in raincoat for the bag), padded, with adjustable dividersand although it may not be small enough for your tastes, I'm a pack rat and love to carry all of its accessories around and there's enough space for theS1 ISwith the Lens Adapter and hood in place, my TC-DC52B Teleconverter, CF Cards, Batteries, Charger w/ cord, interface cable, AV cable, filters etc. Check it out :-)

As to resetting. Its in page 68 of the manual:-)
Attached Images

Oculus Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:53 AM   #3

That might be a bit too big... I'm looking at the Lowepro 25AW (or something like that). The AW25, like yours, is very good but is kind of expensive for my tastes :?

I was hoping for a cheaper, no-name, brand or something... the Lowepro bag that I have in mind costs around CAN$30. I was hoping for something around CAN$10 to $15.

Anyone have any other bags they like? In the worst case, I might go with the Lowepro one because it is well-built but I'm hoping for a cheaper one...
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:50 PM   #4

I just bought this bag the other day. It is very similar in size and features to the Lowepro pictured above. I had a small Lowepro (don't know the model) but it was too small as it fit the camera only. This one is a "PhotoTechnic" (not sure of a model number) and sold for about CAN$25, I think, at a camera shop in the mall. I'm returning the small Lowepro to Henry's.

Question: If you have spent CAN$600 for a camera plus the cost of numerous other necessities (memory card, etc.) why try to save $10-$15 on a bag?
Get the bag you want. This is not a major purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Attached Images

ghubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:07 PM   #5

i have to work today (BestBuy) and i will take a pic of the bag that i think is one of the better ones with the cam next to it (size reference)

hopefully my internet will be working tonight so i can upload it (ive been having probs with my internet conny)
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:18 PM   #6

ghubbers wrote:
Quote:
I just bought this bag the other day. It is very similar in size and features to the Lowepro pictured above. I had a small Lowepro (don't know the model) but it was too small as it fit the camera only. This one is a "PhotoTechnic" (not sure of a model number) and sold for about CAN$25, I think, at a camera shop in the mall. I'm returning the small Lowepro to Henry's.
Which one is too small? The Lowepro 25AW or something else?

I am thinking I should NOT get a large bag. I don't have any extra lenses or stuff like that--and don't plan to get them any time soon. I think a small bag would fit in the bag that I take to work, whereas the large ones are kind of bulky.

Quote:
Question: If you have spent CAN$600 for a camera plus the cost of numerous other necessities (memory card, etc.) why try to save $10-$15 on a bag?
Get the bag you want. This is not a major purchase. Just my 2 cents.
:idea: Don't have any answers to that... ... the only thing I can think of is that these little things start adding up. For example, if you pay $15 more here, then $25 more on a battery recharger, then another few bucks more for memory card, and so on, it'll start adding up to $100 pretty soon... but in any case, you have a valid point. If I don't find anything decent, I'm going to grab the Lowepro one from Future Shop or something...

One thing I noticed is that many online retailers do not list the bag size
Old Dec 3, 2004, 7:55 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm not sureof the model. It was very similar to the one pictured here (which is for my old A40) but only slightly larger to fit the S1. I left the mouse in for scale :idea:and also the new bag. It fit the camera and nothing else.

I also don't have add-on lenses, filters or the like (not yet, anyway) as I just bought the camera a few weeks ago.

However, I like the extra space to carry my table top tripod (seen below), battery charger, extra batteries, and card reader. If I am hiking I also have room for my cell phone.

Quote:
it'll start adding up to $100 pretty soon...
I hear what you are saying about things adding up. My budget is on hold for all those extras. It's Xmas and I can't spend it all buying for myself. My wish list is pretty specific, though!!!:-)
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:07 AM   #8

ghubbers wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure of the model. It was very similar to the one pictured here (which is for my old A40) but only slightly larger to fit the S1. I left the mouse in for scale :idea: and also the new bag. It fit the camera and nothing else.
I think that's the one I have in mind. Doesn't it have inside compartments to hold at least a memory card or something? A tight-fitting bag is ok because I don't really have many accessories...

Based on what you are saying, the bag is TOO tight and doesn't provide much flexibility...hmm.... might have to go with another brand or a larger bag

Quote:
I also don't have add-on lenses, filters or the like (not yet, anyway) as I just bought the camera a few weeks ago.
lol me too ... but I DID buy a 1GB card for video... and NiMH battery recharger... did you buy any memory cards yet?

Quote:
However, I like the extra space to carry my table top tripod (seen below), battery charger, extra batteries, and card reader. If I am hiking I also have room for my cell phone.
I'm trying to get a bag that fits into my work bag, which is pretty small.... I'm not really looking for a standalone-bag--if I did, I would probably go for something larger (like what some of you guys have)...

BTW, what's a table top tripod used for? I could never figure out what the benefit of that is? Do you also use it on the ground? If yes, is it comfortable taking pics with a small tripod on the ground?

Quote:
I hear what you are saying about things adding up. My budget is on hold for all those extras. It's Xmas and I can't spend it all buying for myself. My wish list is pretty specific, though!!!:-)
Old Dec 3, 2004, 4:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Doesn't it have inside compartments to hold at least a memory card or something? A tight-fitting bag is ok because I don't really have many accessories...
Yes, it does. It's tight fitting. A little too tight for my taste, but it worked. I had room for the memory card, butan extra battery set would have been verytight.
Just not what I wanted. To each his own. It's a semi-free country.:-)

Quote:
did you buy any memory cards yet?

Yes, a 512 Mb card. The 1 Gb was $60 more. I was thinking of trading in, or I may just wait a bit and but a 1 Gb as well. It really only matters for video, though it would have been handy on my recent trip to Cuba since I wanted full res pics and taking a PC was not an option. If I go somewhere like that for 2 weeks, I will definately want more memory.

Quote:
BTW, what's a table top tripod used for? I could never figure out what the benefit of that is? Do you also use it on the ground? If yes, is it comfortable taking pics with a small tripod on the ground?
I bought this a few years back for my 35 mm p&s camera when I used to ski a lot and wanted to be in a few of my own pics. You can use it on the ground, sure. It's a pain but this is where the articulated LCD on the S1 comes in very handy.

However, it's always shooting upward.:!: Works better on a table or even achair.

It's no replacement for a real tripod (whichIS on my wish list) but it'll do in a pinch and I always have it with me (since it fits in the bag!!!):-)

Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:34 AM   #10

I use the LowePro Rezo 60.

It fits the camera in the main pocket, 4 extra batteries and a couple of CF cards in the front. If you want to take the cable with you as well it should be possible but it might be a bit tight in the front pocket.

I like it because of its size.

But I have just ordered a macro lens and will add filters as well one day...so I might have to buy an extra bag.

Attached Images

Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote