Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:20 PM   #1

Just got the SD200.

In playback of video I hear a very audible and annoying clicking sound. Happens in all modes - 640x480, 320x240 at 15 or 30fps and in Fast Frame Rate and Compact modes. The clicks are somewhat random but get approx 3 or 4 every 10 seconds.

Tried turning "AF Assist Beam" off as I have read that in some cameras the auto-focus can cause noise but the problem remains.

Otherwise the video is impressive but if I can't solve this it goes back to store.

Anyone experience or hear of this?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Jets-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:50 PM   #2

Turn to page 80 in the manual to check on the cause (It's the sounds made by the auto exposure and auto white balance systems).

You can lock the exposure and white balance to minimize the sounds but they don't go away, unfortunately.
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip. Read page 80, saw the note re:noise.

Took a bunch more videos and have heard no clicks since the initial time. Audio is very good infact. So is video, especially at 30 and 60 fps. Clicking may have been a one time thing that cleared when I cycled the power off/on but it did happen on more than one of my first batch of clips.
Jets-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:28 PM   #4

I've been playing around with the video over the last two days and have found that the clicks only happen when the light levels change. If the camera is stationary, there are no clicks if the light stays constant. If I change the lighting drastically or move the camera from light to dark (or vice versa) then I get the clicks.
nullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:43 PM   #5

Its the marble inside the SD200 that automatically makes changes the camera portrait picture thing. I mean if you turn the camera you can hear it inside, that is why you hear that clicking noise. I had the same problem. Just dont move the camera so much especially horitzontally.
BRAVA is offline   Reply With Quote