Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 7, 2004, 7:53 AM   #1

Hi--I am posting my second plea. Just bought the A85, and am having trouble getting pictures of my kids with their eyes open. The shutter delay I guess. Does the autofocus asssist lamp (being on or off) have anything to do with the delay? Is there anything I can do to reduce the delay (setting wise?) Does a brighter room make difference?

Pamp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:59 AM   #2

I have an A75 and I haven't noticed any significant shutter delay - other than what is expected. If you lock the focus prior to releasing the shutter lighting shouldn't matter, however if you are just pushing down on the shutter button without prefocusing then lighting conditions, among others, can definitely add to the delay.

Have you considered the problem might be with the subjects you're shooting? I've personally noticed that sometimes with kids they blink their eyes reflexively at the moment of the shot, especially if you use 3,2,1 ect. Try taking surprise shots or change your setting from single to multiple shots. Good luck.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Sam. I have been locking in the focus, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. My daughter does tend to be a blinker, but not so much with my regular Canon AE1 SLR. Everyone in the familyseems to blink a bit more with this A85 than with my SLR. My son says he thinks it is because of the lamp that glows before the picture is taken (is that the red eye reduction feature or the autofocus assist? I havent' had the camera very long.) Also, I tried to set it to multiple shots, but I couldn't figure it out. The instructions showed a different icon than I am showing (the Drive icons. The one they show for multiple images I can't seem to find.) I know I must sound like a ditz! ( I am actually a pretty intelligent person!) I am a digicam newbie though.

Thanks in advance.

Pam
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:35 PM   #4

The red lamp that's going off has 2 functions. The 1st is to assist in low-light autofocus and the 2nd is red-eye reduction. Since you lock your focus the lamp is functioning as the latter. You might want to try some shots with red-eye reduction turned off. As for changing the option for rapid drive shots push your function button, scroll down to the 3rd option (this option has your drive settings, as well as timed shutter release) and select the option that looks like multiple squares.

It really sounds like there is nothing wrong with your A85. If you have been using an SLR, your family probably needs some time to get used to the red-eye reduction feature. I usually turn it off since most people I photograph don't get red-eye that bad, and with the ones who do no amount of red-eye lamp will help them - I just zap it out with software. Just keep shooting and experiment, the A85 really is a great little camera.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:40 PM   #5

Thanks again Sam. I turned off both the red eye reduction and the autofocus assist and there is almost no shutter delay now. I am thrilled and getting some great shots. I haven't tried it yet with just the red eye off and the autofocus assist still on. Is the autofocus assist really necessary if the conditions are not too dark? I'm not really sure when to use the autofocus assist (for instance, do I need it in a normally lit room indoors?) Anyway, I haven't printed any of the pictures yet, but so far I am thrilled with the results on the LCD screen.

Pam
Old Dec 13, 2004, 1:44 PM   #6

If you can lock the focus you're not in need of the focus assist ligth. I would keep if off and use it when the conditions demand it (not locking the focus).
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:52 PM   #7

Thanks for all the great help. With regard to the blinking---it seems that with all the suggestions, things are much better. Mydaughter does, however, still blink a LOT! I'm really not having too much problem with anyone else now, though, so I am happy!

Just wanted to let you all know that I printed some shots with my Canon i860 printer, and they are absolutely beautiful. I am floored by the quality I get with this A85 and canpn printer. They are gorgeous photos, with perfect exposure in every one!

One more question.... will the ink cartridges print many pics without running out of ink? Can't decide if I should take them up to Walgreens, or try to print them all myself. I really like the quality I am getting, printing them myself.

Thanks again.

Pam P.