Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:05 AM   #1

Default S230 A Huge Disapointment

Your heard correct, the S230 is a huge disapointment in my eyes. After reading all the specs for the camera I was convinced that was what I wanted to buy well before its release. After purchasing the camera from Best Buy, I tore it out of the box and immediately started snapping pictures. I must give Canon credit for their excellent quality LED screens, I mean wow, it's amazing!! Finally after loading the pictures onto my computer, I began to notice that the pictures seemed to be blurry. Sometimes the subject was out of focus, but most of the time the background was way out of focus which really bothered me.

I quickly whipped out my old Kodak DC3400, which I was about to sell, and started taking comparison shots with both cameras. I noticed with my old 2 megapixel camera, the backgrounds of the pictures were much much clearer. Everything seemed to be in much better focus. I took at least 50 comparison shots. from every angle using things to prop it up to avoid camera shake in average room lighting for most shots, with each camera with the same result everytime.

In the end I returned my S230 stuck with my Kodak DC3400. After doing a lot more research I believe I'm going to stick with the Kodak brand and purchase the new Kodak LS443 this weekend. Thanks for reading my ramblings and I hope this helps peoples decisions on whether or not to purchase this camera.
BCobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:44 AM   #2

Default Canon S230

I purchased mine on 24 Oct 2002 and also took several pics. I took outdoor pics,, indoor pics and also pics in total darkness. I am extremely satisfied with my S230! The AF assist lamp works extremely well. Also, all my pics were printed on a Sony DPP-SV77 dye-sub and my family and friends were also very impressed. Maybe your unit was defective?????????
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:00 AM   #3

" I tore it out of the box and immediately started snapping ..."

Sounds like a little cockpit error here...

Also, with low light you indicate the subject is in focus but the background is out of focus. Ever hear of "Depth of Field"?

I think you made a hasty evaluation and decision based on lack of camera knowledge and shooting techniques.

I have the S230 and experience none of the problems you expound on. It is providing clear and sharp images without difficulty to most of the users that I have read comments from.

I think you may have been a little careless in evaluating the camera and may regret your returning it so soon without a complete checkout.

Just my opinion...your milage may vary...
Lone Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 3:36 PM   #4

I tested it against my Kodak's DC3400 camera in every aspect. I took tons of comparison shots, and without having my Kodak for comparison, I would probably have a good opinion of the S230. It does take good shots, but with simple comparison it just doesn't hold up against my Kodak.
BCobra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2002, 10:21 PM   #5

I am on about my 11th digital camera in the last 5 years (couple of Kodaks, 4 Nikons, 3 Canons, and currently own a G2, S20, S230 and Nikon 5000).

If I had to choose ONE camera as an overall camera, it would today be the S230. Sure there are better cameras (my Nikon is the best I've ever seen for macro work and wide-angle, my G2 is my favorite "power" camera for when I'm seriously out taking photos) but the S230 offers (for me) the best overall compromise.

I got mine almost 3 weeks ago here in Canada, and I just came back from 10 days in Asia with both my S230 and G2. I preferred using the G2 for its swivel LCD, optional wide-angle lense and higher resolution, but the S230 had the advantage of always being with me, even when I was too tired to lug the G2 along.

The very issue you bring up as a disappointment (the focusing) is exactly what made th is camera excel for me. There were shots that I simply could not accomplish, or at least not without a LOT of effort that the S230 did with ease. These were particularly night portrait shots taken against the Hong Kong skyline from Kowloon. Both cameras gave the proper ability to have a flash exposure for the foreground and a long exposure for the background. With the G2 the shots were consistantly out-of-focus for the foreground (the people) and the best results I got were by using manual focus (but it was fairly awkward). Even then the results were NOT AS GOOD as with the S230!!!!! Really.

I attribute the difference to the new logic (processor) in the S230 that lets it analyze a scene for proper exposure and most importanly lets it focus properly on off-center subjects.

I have a G3 on order, and I hope it'll have as good (and probably better) logic than the S230. Today I prefer my G2 because of the higher resolution and ability to add optional lenses but there's no question in my mind that the new software in the S230 is absolutely superb!

I strongly suspect that your disappointment in the S230 was due to either operator error or more likely to a defective camera (these things can happen).

Hope this is of help to someone...

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:29 AM   #6

Default Re: S230 A Huge Disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobra99
Your heard correct, the S230 is a huge disapointment in my eyes. After reading all the specs for the camera I was convinced that was what I wanted to buy well before its release. After purchasing the camera from Best Buy, I tore it out of the box and immediately started snapping pictures. I must give Canon credit for their excellent quality LED screens, I mean wow, it's amazing!! Finally after loading the pictures onto my computer, I began to notice that the pictures seemed to be blurry. Sometimes the subject was out of focus, but most of the time the background was way out of focus which really bothered me.

I quickly whipped out my old Kodak DC3400, which I was about to sell, and started taking comparison shots with both cameras. I noticed with my old 2 megapixel camera, the backgrounds of the pictures were much much clearer. Everything seemed to be in much better focus. I took at least 50 comparison shots. from every angle using things to prop it up to avoid camera shake in average room lighting for most shots, with each camera with the same result everytime.

In the end I returned my S230 stuck with my Kodak DC3400. After doing a lot more research I believe I'm going to stick with the Kodak brand and purchase the new Kodak LS443 this weekend. Thanks for reading my ramblings and I hope this helps peoples decisions on whether or not to purchase this camera.
First things first, I must agree that the Kodak DC3400 takes some of the most amazing pictures ever. On a bad note, I just sold mine on ebay so I could purchase an S230. :shock:

From what I've heard and seen, the S230 takes great pictures. The best part is its compact size, packing a 3megapixel punch that also has new and improved video capabilities with sound. My DC3400 just did not have the little extras that I wanted, that is why I sold the camera.

I will be sure to post some pictures as soon as I pick up my S230.
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 5:55 PM   #7

Default Re: S230 A Huge Disapointment

Most pro/semi-pro photographers WANT selective focus (where the background or forground go soft so as to draw attention to the part of the scene that IS in focus).

But it sounds like you want lots of DEPTH OF FIELD.

I use my S230 in full manaul. But I think the S230's default auto ISO setting is 50 which creates the sharpest and most color saturated images but because of it's slow speed, gives you the most shallow depth of field (ie. your background will go out of focus if your forground subjust is in focus).

But if you want the background to be sharp along with your forground subject then you should either shoot outdoors during the day or set the ISO to 200 or highter.

Shooting indoors generally provides very low light. If you want sharper images you need more light. If you want a smallish camera (though not compact) with the best results in low light you'll have to go with an Olympus 3040zoom camera (or 4040zoom), which has a f1.8 lens.

>>Sometimes the subject was out of focus, but most of the time the background was way out of focus which really bothered me.

I quickly whipped out my old Kodak DC3400, which I was about to sell, and started taking comparison shots with both cameras. I noticed with my old 2 megapixel camera, the backgrounds of the pictures were much much clearer. Everything seemed to be in much better focus. I took at least 50 comparison shots. from every angle using things to prop it up to avoid camera shake in average room lighting for most shots, with each camera with the same result everytime.<<
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 5:08 AM   #8

Still waiting for my S230....in a few weeks I will have one!
Gdog123 is offline   Reply With Quote