Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1

I don't see too much of a diffrence, can anyone fill me in on what is the diffrence between superfine, fine, and normal on the canon A75 camera? My thinking is that Normal is just more compressed then fine or superfine. am I right?

I just picked up the camera and love it BTW.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:15 AM   #2

You are right. Superfine = least compression, Fine = medium compression and normal is high compression. This does not only affect the file size, it also affects the image quality a bit. The higher the compression the more artifacts will show up in the picture, probably not when printed at 4x6, but at 8x10 using normal, I think there are somewhat good risks. Many people argue that on the Canon cameras, since they have a Superfine mode which compresses the file so little, the Fine mode will yield about the same results. If I am not mistaken, I'd say the Fine mode on a Canon should be similar to the least compression mode(Fine) on a Fuji camera.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:14 AM   #3

Thank you thats what I thought. Currently i have it on large, normal for everyday snapshots of my daughter. I was contemplating on using the 1600x1200 postcard mode just for 4x6" prints but I may get a picture I want to enlarge a little, so I think large normal will suit me fine. thank you.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:49 AM   #4

Your best bet of course, is to just buy a larger memory card and leave your camera set to the largest size and smallest compression at all times.

Sometimes a photo opp comes up suddenly where you may want an 8x10 print, and you won't have time to fiddle with settings to get the best possible result. You can always resize photos down later if you don't need them at their largest sizes, but you can't enlarge "up" later without losing quality.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:06 AM   #5

I agree, just leave it on superfine and forget about it. A 256mb card can hold over 100 shots on my Canon A80 at superfine.
Kaiserbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:07 AM   #6

Woah.

Than why is Medium (size) on Super fine a whopping 1,002 KB when the Medium (size) on normal is only 278 KB....i would have thought that superfine means more details but you guys say otherwise...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/a75_pg2.html bottom of page
s5pitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 8:44 AM   #7

s5pitfire wrote:
Quote:
Woah.

Than why is Medium (size) on Super fine a whopping 1,002 KB when the Medium (size) on normal is only 278 KB....i would have thought that superfine means more details but you guys say otherwise...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/a75_pg2.html bottom of page
I don't quite get that question. Superfine means less compression thus fewer artifacts. As your quote of 1MB vs. 278KB shows superfine has a larger file size.

Anyways, I find it interesting that as consumers we ask a lot out of our digicam, the best this the best that, then when we have our very capable cameras we would think able changing the settings ourselves that would degrade our pictures...reminds me of that saying, "penny wise, dollar foolish".

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote