Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:19 PM   #1

I have had my G2 for 2 years now and still have not figured out how to get a decent photo out of it. Everything I take is just so-so. Recently took out my hubby's work digital (Sony 5MP) and did side by side comparison shots with my G2. Result is that my G2 pic's have slightly washed out color andare softer (not as crisp) as the Sony. In addition, over the last 2 years I have missed so many shots because the darn AF just wouldn't lock on and would take the shot seconds after I clicked (even with using 1/2 depression pre-focus technique. Does anybody have any ideas? I am ready to send camera in for servicing to see if there is anything wrong with it. This is certainly NOT the quality of photo I expected to get from this expensive a camera. Or could it just be me? Or is this normal for the G2 and I need to do alot of post-processing to get it sharp and properly colored? Thanks for any imput I really appreciate it!

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:24 AM   #2
G2

I've had my G2 for 3 years and it's taken good pictures for me. I experimented with different settings and of course studied the manual to try to get the best results I could. I'm no expert, but I rarely get a bad shot even in the auto mode. A couple of weeks ago, I used it in difficult lighting conditions to shoot a wedding and all 68 pictures turned out great as did the prints I had made from them.

I'll give you my Automatic settings and you could try them and see how they work on your camera. I presume you are familiar with adjusting your settings on your Record menu. First I normally just use the M2 resolution since the size is a perfect fit on my computer monitor, so I don't have to scroll around to see all of an oversized picture on the screen. And that size makes perfect 4x6 prints. But you can use the larger resolutions if you like really big pictures. Next Iset mycompression setting on Superfine. You should get sharp pictures that way. For more vivid colors, turn your dial on top of the camera to the "painter's palette" mode. This is an Auto mode too, but gives you some control over the color saturation. Once you're in this Color mode, there are color choices on the bottom of the LCD. Using your 4 way toggle dial on the back of the camera(omni selector),move thegreen circle to the far left onto the V, for vivid, color choice.Leavethe camerain the "palette mode" and take pics as you would in the Auto mode and the pic will be more colorful.

I can't comment on your slow shutter, unless you accidentally have your dial on the wrong mode.

If you have a focusing problem, you can use the manual focus, which does take longer, but if you have time, you can get a focused shot that way. Read about manual focusing in the manual.
G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:44 PM   #3

It's possible that there's something wrong with your camera maybe. Anyhow...even on my nikon 950...I find that I have to use a photo editor to sharpen it up a bit. I usually do the sharpening by eye .. once I'm happy with the sharpness, then I'll save the pic to a new filename. How much sharpening we can apply depends on the picture and also on our own judgement. Oversharpened pictures don't look too good either.

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:26 PM   #4

i never had problems with mine, i bought it right after there original release. and kept it in constant use until i sold it to upgrade to a Pro1, part of my decision to go with the canon again was because of how pleased i had been with my G2. some of my best pics were in auto mode. flash pictures were always good to excellent with it. theres some common things to all cameras of any type and some to digital only that can cause you problems with picture quality though. and if your missing something here,.going to a different camera will only leave you upset with another brand. ill try to list these as best i can.
1: iso....film speed . most digital cameras.... even the newer dslr`s dont do well above iso 200, most dont do so well above iso 100.
2: shutter speeds vary with conditions. small handheld cameras suffer from shaky hands more that anything, a good rule of thumb is to keep the shutter speed above the focal length used. if set at 100mm zoom keep shutter at 1/100. 200mm zoom keep above 1/200. etc etc. if unavoidable try a rest or ideally a tripod.
3: clean the lens, yes i have seen it many times some greasy kids paw print smack dab in the middle of the lens, a good way to acheive a soft focus look. :G
4: i dont shoot in raw, but i keep it in the fine to superfine with large file settings. id always have room for around 60 or 70 pics with a 128 cf card
5: i prefer using the evaluative metering as opposed to spot or center weighted in average shooting conditions.
6: i dont like continuous focus, i prefer single mode focus for more precise subject to subject focus lock. i think the canon will allow pictures taken in cont mode without a focus lock. you may want to verify that...
7: id avoid aftermarket lens adapters. wide and tele, there not built to the same standards and might cause problems with autofocus, as can some filters. i never used filters on mine and its AF was always good, like all AF its not foolproof. you do need to be able to put the focus brackets on subject let it lock . hold the lock and compose and shoot.
8: shut off digital zoom. it only gives you a degraded image.
9: ill stress this one last time because its important. dont set your iso above 100. i would say this to any p&s digital camera owners. i have not read where any of these newer or older perform well above 200 at best and even at 200 most are noticably degraded.

just my 2 copper thingy`s
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:51 PM   #5

I agree about the thing about ISO above 100... I notice from sample photos that the grainy bits start appearing etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:14 AM   #6

Sony definitely has better color than Canon! It's much sharper and better color saturated than most manufacturers out there. Follow your husband's lead and buy a Sony. Dump the Canon!

(and no, I don't work for Sony or Canon, I buy, sell, and test digital cameras and Sony always comes out on top!)
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:02 PM   #7

Thanks everyone who has responded. I have my camera at Best Buy now for servicing (thank goodness for extended service plans!). I have tried all of the things that were suggested with no improvement in pic quality, so decided to let them take a look at it. Am almost hoping that they will say it can'tbe fixed and I would get a new camera (they did that with our dvd player), but after reading reviews of Pro 1, G6, and Sony V3, I begin to think that maybe the new 8 mp cameras are too new and they have some issues to resolve with sensor size vs pixel count, I see so many comments about image noise. Or is that just pro reviewers being real picky and us average people would never see it? Does anyone have any ideas (just in case I get lucky) which of the three would be best for taking action shots? I shoot my kids riding horses, and my daughter playing every sport imaginable.

Thanks again for your [email protected]:|
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote