Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:39 AM   #11

slitman wrote:
Quote:
I had a Canon G3 and sold it for the S1 IS....BIG mistake! This model has been a disappointment and not up to Canon standards...come on Canon you can do much better as you continue to lose business to the Panasonic FZ20.
FZ3 is the competitor to the S1 IS--not FZ20. FZ20 is in a higher price bracket. As far as FZ3 vs S1 IS, I agree that the FZ3 is better in many regards. However, the difference isn't THAT large so I don't think the sales will be much different. If anything, S1 IS probably outsells the FZ3 (because of stronger brand name and marketing).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:17 PM   #12

On the contrary, there have been several recent price drops on the Canon S1 IS as the competition continuesto surpass this model.

Think you might want to spend some time reviewing several of the website sthat have reviewed these models and find the actual competition; Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote: [/b]
Quote:
slitman wrote:
Quote:
I had a Canon G3 and sold it for the S1 IS....BIG mistake! This model has been a disappointment and not up to Canon standards...come on Canon you can do much better as you continue to lose business to the Panasonic FZ20.
FZ3 is the competitor to the S1 IS--not FZ20. FZ20 is in a higher price bracket. As far as FZ3 vs S1 IS, I agree that the FZ3 is better in many regards. However, the difference isn't THAT large so I don't think the sales will be much different. If anything, S1 IS probably outsells the FZ3 (because of stronger brand name and marketing).
Old Dec 22, 2004, 6:30 PM   #13

:bye:Hi, guys, Thanks for all your idea and opinion posted in this colum about the Canon S1. Now, what's the best camera ( 5mp with 6x optical zoom) and the lowest in price in the market to-day. (any brand, not just Canon alone) bear in mind the technology is come out new everyday. Another month, our S1 is outdated. may be it's already outdated.

What printer do your guys used now? I have learned a lot from this forum. Thanks again.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:18 PM   #14

If you want ultra-zoom (10x+ zoom) and don't care about video then the Panasonic Lumix line (eg. Pansonic DMC-FZ3, FZ20, etc) are best.... If you want low-zoom prosumer camera (eg. 4x to 7x zoom), something like the Canon G6 is arguably the best (its main competitor is probably Sony V3)... if you want compact with features then something like Canon A95 or Canon S70 are good (but competitors from Sony and others are good too)... If you want an ultra-compact then Canon SD300 or Pansonic FX7 are arguably some of the best... The best ultra-compact for style and size is probably Sony T1 or T3 (or now, M1 perhaps)... In terms of best bang for buck, I like Sony W1 (ultra-compact) for non-amateur-photographer-wannabes

These are just my opinion so don't take it as truth or anything (consider other opinions, which will definitely differ)...

As far as digicams becoming obsolete, that's for sure... Most of these cameras have a lifespan of around 3 years IMO. This doesn't mean you can't use it after 3 years but it will miss out on key advances... What you should do is to buy ONE that willy make YOU happy. If you pick the one that you like then you will have no regrets and technology advances are largely something that happens in the background and won't impact you...

Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:28 AM   #15

:!: Yep... it is possible to see a S2 IS very soon, but I'm sure that the price will not be so convenient as the price for the S1. A more powerfull sensor implies more costs. So only for this I do not think its a good deal... It could be also the AF lamp... but this implies to rethink the camera and again this will raise the costs to more... and so on... You know what I mean... and those two features are the only two features I really miss, mostly the AF lamp... The S1 has all for me (at least for now). So let's wait and see the new S2 IS first (if it will be one) and then decide. Myself I did not want to wait and speculate for a new camera and got the S1. Take care...
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:07 PM   #16

Bodhi wrote:
Quote:
:!: Yep... it is possible to see a S2 IS very soon, but I'm sure that the price will not be so convenient as the price for the S1.
Yep... I got my S1 IS just a few months ago and one of the biggest "threats" was the fact that a new camera may come out in February. But I decided to go with the camera mainly due to price. Rougly speaking, the price of the S1 IS seemed to drop $4 per week. So when I got my camera (late last year), the price was around $100 to $150 lower than the MSRP when it came out. If you bought the S2 (or whatever) when it comes out, it will cost $100 to $150 more than the S1 IS now. So to get the same price, I would have had to wait until late 2005--and I didn't want to wait one year (especially given that I don't see any revolutionary new features for the ultra-zooms on the horizon)...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:47 PM   #17

Iso control for video?
Iso is a film speed rating, video is not film. The S1 does have manual exposure control, and you can use it while recording as well as lock the focus.

you know there are people on forums that complain about blurry pics with their FZ20 as well as many other cameras. the weakest link is usually the person holding the equipment.

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:29 PM   #18

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
Iso control for video?
Iso is a film speed rating, video is not film. The S1 does have manual exposure control, and you can use it while recording as well as lock the focus.
ISO is not the right word... what I'm talking about is the motion picture equivalent of ISO...not sure what that's called... Basically, my low-light videos have very high noise. It's like as if they were shot on ISO 200 or something (if I took still pictures at ISO200 it would have similar noise). So whatever it is, the Canon video produces too much noise. I want something to control that.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:47 PM   #19

I have the exact same problem! Isn't there anything that reduces noise in videos? Similar to neat image for video?
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:48 AM   #20

Samcheri posted a link to some software in another thread on this forum. I haven't tried the software yet but supposedly it reduces noise in videos...

(Obviously, having an in-camera control to reduce noise would be more desirable)