Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:10 PM   #31

slitman wrote:
Quote:
The S2 seems promising, but early reviews I have read the lens is still not as good as the FZ20 and it has troubles focusing at extreme zooms.

Comments?

Early reviews, such as???

I have the S1 and now the S2 and at wide zoom or extreme zoom the S2 will always focus much faster than the S1.

At the longest zoom any of the super zooms are going to slow down from the wider zoom, though not by much on the S2.

Good Day,

Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:10 PM   #32

Steven H wrote:
Quote:

Early reviews, such as???

I have the S1 and now the S2 and at wide zoom or extreme zoom the S2 will always focus much faster than the S1.

At the longest zoom any of the super zooms are going to slow down from the wider zoom, though not by much on the S2.

Good Day,

Steven
If you haven't already read the first review on the S2, just go to http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...hot_s2-review/

"The lens has been upgraded on the PowerShot S2 and now it's even better, though the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 still has the best lens in this class. "
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:30 AM   #33

You can't compare the lens on the FZ20 and the S2... due to the size. In order to maintain the 2.8 apeture across the zoom range, you need a very large lens. If you put that lens on the S2, it would be the size of the FZ20, and the size of the S2 is one of the advantages to some people.

Still it's a very nice lens, the only difference you may see is the amount of light taken in at telephoto...as you're getting an apeture of 2.7-3.5 instead of 2.8.. which is still VERY good.. and better than the 3.7 of the sony, or 4.7 of the Minolta Z5. The Canon actually has a faster lens at wide angle!

To give you an example of what this means, the Panisoniz FZ5 and FZ20 have the same sensor, and take VERY very similar photos, but the FZ5 is a 2.8-3.3 lens similar to what you see on the Canon.

Read the review on DCResourse, Jeff ranks the FZ20 and S2 as a "Tie", giving the edge for FZ20 for people not minding the larger camera and needing a hot show, but for the S2 for people who want a smaller camera with a good movie mode. Below the "Tie", he placed the FZ5 then the H1. While I would like the hotshow, the FZ is just TOO big.. and to S2, to me, is pushing close to the "too big" size.. I would prefer it a little smaller and lighter. I haven't seen the H1, but from the specs I've read, it's over the "too big" limit. But that's just my opinion.

To the guy who says we're still a generation or two behind finding a excellent all around camera.. well, for $500, the S2 doesn't get much better. I would prefer the following: More pixel count on LCD, maybe a 2", if you can make it fit, Faster autofocus times.... and a metal tripod mount, and a hot shoe... and put the fast shutter option back on the jog dial. Oh, and a manual focus ring would be nice. And a live histogram.. and Raw mode...

These are all minor issues though.. none are a big deal... there won't be a perfect camera... otherwise, what would the S3 be? They need to intice you to upgrade!

akysten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:19 AM   #34

Welcome to the board!

The problem is the FZ20 seems to be on par or slightly above the S2 and Panasonic will likely be coming out with a FZ25 or FZ30 in a couple of months.

Canon is still catching up it looks like. :lol:

akysten wrote:
Quote:
You can't compare the lens on the FZ20 and the S2... due to the size. In order to maintain the 2.8 apeture across the zoom range, you need a very large lens. If you put that lens on the S2, it would be the size of the FZ20, and the size of the S2 is one of the advantages to some people.

Still it's a very nice lens, the only difference you may see is the amount of light taken in at telephoto...as you're getting an apeture of 2.7-3.5 instead of 2.8.. which is still VERY good.. and better than the 3.7 of the sony, or 4.7 of the Minolta Z5. The Canon actually has a faster lens at wide angle!

To give you an example of what this means, the Panisoniz FZ5 and FZ20 have the same sensor, and take VERY very similar photos, but the FZ5 is a 2.8-3.3 lens similar to what you see on the Canon.

Read the review on DCResourse, Jeff ranks the FZ20 and S2 as a "Tie", giving the edge for FZ20 for people not minding the larger camera and needing a hot show, but for the S2 for people who want a smaller camera with a good movie mode. Below the "Tie", he placed the FZ5 then the H1. While I would like the hotshow, the FZ is just TOO big.. and to S2, to me, is pushing close to the "too big" size.. I would prefer it a little smaller and lighter. I haven't seen the H1, but from the specs I've read, it's over the "too big" limit. But that's just my opinion.

To the guy who says we're still a generation or two behind finding a excellent all around camera.. well, for $500, the S2 doesn't get much better. I would prefer the following: More pixel count on LCD, maybe a 2", if you can make it fit, Faster autofocus times.... and a metal tripod mount, and a hot shoe... and put the fast shutter option back on the jog dial. Oh, and a manual focus ring would be nice. And a live histogram.. and Raw mode...

These are all minor issues though.. none are a big deal... there won't be a perfect camera... otherwise, what would the S3 be? They need to intice you to upgrade!