Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:53 AM   #1

:-)there is a lot of talks and speculations about new s2 coming soon, I own a s1 for several months now, enjoying the camera, it takes good pictures, printed on 8x11 paper beautifully. Any bigger then 3.2mp will takes longer to download and review the pictures. If use the camera properly, you will enjoy it the way it's now, if you want a bigger pixels camera, there is plenty of them in the market, nothing is perfect.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:30 PM   #2

There are quite a few more "flaws" that need to be fixed... here are the main ones:

* 12x zoom... Panasonic has 12x so why not Canon?
* AF-assist lamp... this is a huge one. They have to have to have to put this in...
* larger LCD... 1.5" is old school... nearly all modern ones have at least 1.8" and hopefully 2" (although 2" will increase the cost too much I think)
* higher number of pixels... although not a big thing, having more pixels will at least enable you to use the electronic viewfinder. Right now the EVF is so pixellated that it is next to impossible to tell if anything is focused...
* USB 2... USB 2 will increase the transfer speeds between camera and computer/other devices
* ISO control for video... I don't think this will be part of S2 (if it ever comes out) but it will be nice to be able to control the ISO in video mode. Right now, nearly all night time video I shoot have horrible noise
* faster focusing... if they put in a new chip (Digic II) then focusing may be faster...

I agree with you that the megapixels is the least of the needs right now. 4MP may be ok but anything beyond that will jack up the cost for little benefit. I would rather have a larger LCD than 1 or 2 more megapixels...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3

Everyone has a wish list for Canon. I talked to a Canon rep at a store lately about several models, and while he gave me funny looks (semi confirmation) as to models that MIGHT come up, he didn't bat an eye over the S1, though he DID say that making it 3MP was a "boo boo" and that Canon leaders realized it too late.

While there may not really be a super need for more pixels for the casual snapshooter, they SHOULD make the next model a 5MP model for the simple reason of being able to crop a bit and still get a decent sized print. Having 3MP is fine for really good 4x6 and 5x7 prints, and "decent" 8x10s, but it doesn't leave you with much (if any) crop-factor before you lose it quickly. AF light is agreed. MUST have one next time. 12X zoom? Maybe, but it'll wind up being a larger camera. Larger LCD definately! The whole purpose of having a swivel LCD is so you can hold it above your head or at waist level... with only 1.5 inches, that's sure hard to see when it's 2.5 to 3 feet away from your head!

Keep the AAs though. May not last as long as Li-ions, but much more convenient.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 2:37 PM   #4

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
While there may not really be a super need for more pixels for the casual snapshooter, they SHOULD make the next model a 5MP model for the simple reason of being able to crop a bit and still get a decent sized print. Having 3MP is fine for really good 4x6 and 5x7 prints, and "decent" 8x10s, but it doesn't leave you with much (if any) crop-factor before you lose it quickly.
This really depends on how much of an improvement you get in CCD technology within 1 year... anyway...

The problem with 5MP CCD is that either:

(i) it will be expensive, or
(ii) will be noisy

If they pump more pixels into a small sensor, you'll get more noise. I don't really know if I would want a 5MP camera with more noise or get a lower noise one (eg. Panasonic FZ20 vs FZ3 (FZ20 supposedly has more noise))... BUT if they increase the sensor size to an appreciable degree (to avoid noise), then the cost will go up. The S2 (or whatever) won't be a mid-end ultra-zoom but instead will be a high-end ultra-zoom (eg. it will be more like the Panasonic FZ20 than the FZ3). People like me are only willing to spend around CAN$500-$6000/US$350-$400. So I would never be in the market for the S2. I imagine that Canon would want to keep its camera around the mid-end range because they have the high-end prosumer, the Powershot Pro1.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 8:14 PM   #5

In my opinion the biggest flaw is the manual mode. Having to half press shutter button to get exposure setting, then release it which make the number disappear to adjust. Its a hunt & miss operation. Then adjusting the focus seems to require a magic touch & my distance meter doesn't seem to acurately correspond to my eye. Believe Canon could have done better.Panasonic FZ far superior in this regard. However, have gotten some dynamite pictures.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:51 PM   #6

As a previous owner of the S1 IS and now the owner of the Panasonic FZ20, I 2nd everything you have mentioned. The 12x is not as important, but shame on Canon for the lack of AF illuminator; I wasted too much time on pictures I missed because the S1 IS took forever and sometimes never could focus.

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
There are quite a few more "flaws" that need to be fixed... here are the main ones:

* 12x zoom... Panasonic has 12x so why not Canon?
* AF-assist lamp... this is a huge one. They have to have to have to put this in...
* larger LCD... 1.5" is old school... nearly all modern ones have at least 1.8" and hopefully 2" (although 2" will increase the cost too much I think)
* higher number of pixels... although not a big thing, having more pixels will at least enable you to use the electronic viewfinder. Right now the EVF is so pixellated that it is next to impossible to tell if anything is focused...
* USB 2... USB 2 will increase the transfer speeds between camera and computer/other devices
* ISO control for video... I don't think this will be part of S2 (if it ever comes out) but it will be nice to be able to control the ISO in video mode. Right now, nearly all night time video I shoot have horrible noise
* faster focusing... if they put in a new chip (Digic II) then focusing may be faster...

I agree with you that the megapixels is the least of the needs right now. 4MP may be ok but anything beyond that will jack up the cost for little benefit. I would rather have a larger LCD than 1 or 2 more megapixels...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:20 AM   #7

Would it be possible to have a wider aperture at wideangle focal lengths (for example under 100-150mm), like F/2.0, or even F/1.4?
Also, if it has 5mp, I also want it to have less noise. I want ISO 400 to be as clean as ISO 400 on the Oly C7000 or Canon G6, for example, and I would even use an ISO 800 or ISO 1600 possibly if it wasn't too noisy for a 4x6 print.

Also, whatever it takes to get less blurry, less noisy, sharper, etc. pics in lower light without a flash. Many pics I have taken require a 1" iso100 f/2.8 exposure when I would have liked to use a 1/60" shutter speed.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 9:00 AM   #8

And how much are you gentlemen prepared to pay for this "S2"?: $300? C'mon!

Get real, guys!! the camera with your wish-list would not be anything less than twice that!!

Good luck, anyway
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:47 PM   #9

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
Would it be possible to have a wider aperture at wideangle focal lengths (for example under 100-150mm), like F/2.0, or even F/1.4?
That's going to require very goods lens and that is going to cost A LOT more. Even the high-end prosumers (eg. Canon Pro1, Sony F828, Olympus 8080, etc) are nowhere near that so dont' expect that any time soon...

Quote:
Also, if it has 5mp, I also want it to have less noise. I want ISO 400 to be as clean as ISO 400 on the Oly C7000 or Canon G6, for example, and I would even use an ISO 800 or ISO 1600 possibly if it wasn't too noisy for a 4x6 print.
Less noise requires larger sensor. The ultra-zooms have smaller sensors than the low-zooms. I don't think this is going to change any time soon. If the ultra-zooms had a bigger sensor, there is little reason to buy a low-zoom (eg. there is no point buying Canon G6). So this isn't going to change any time soon because of (i) cost reasons, and (ii) market cannibalization (companies wouldn't want you to have it)...

Quote:
Also, whatever it takes to get less blurry, less noisy, sharper, etc. pics in lower light without a flash. Many pics I have taken require a 1" iso100 f/2.8 exposure when I would have liked to use a 1/60" shutter speed.
This requires a much larger sensor... and that is going to cost more. If you really want a larger sensor, you can buy the higher-end prosumers like the Canon Powershot Pro1. It only has 7x zoom but it is the elder sibling of the S1 IS.

Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:34 PM   #10

You get what you pay for and what good is the Canon S1 IS if you only can capture about half of the pictures you want to take because the camera constantly hunts when focusing.

I had a Canon G3 and sold it for the S1 IS....BIG mistake! This model has been a disappointment and not up to Canon standards...come on Canon you can do much better as you continue to lose business to the Panasonic FZ20.

samcheri wrote:
Quote:
And how much are you gentlemen prepared to pay for this "S2"?: $300? C'mon!

Get real, guys!! the camera with your wish-list would not be anything less than twice that!!

Good luck, anyway