Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:30 PM   #1

Hi All

Having just entered the world of digital photography I have a few questions.

The first is about a funny audible noise I get from my Canon A75. When I turn the camera on I hear the noise of the lens extending as well as a slight fluttering/ticking noise a few seconds later. Almost like that of a hard drive as it's writing.

I know the lens extending will make noise but it's the fluttering noise I'm curious about. Is it the camera auto focusing ? It's not an overly loud noise but one I can hear just the same. It also does this during shooting the odd time and also just before the lens retracts when shutting the camera down. Common sense tells me it's the auto focus mechanism but with being new to any extending lens and auto focus system on a still camera I just want to make sure what I'm hearing is normal. The only auto anything I've had on my film camera was the auto film rewind

As for question 2 is there a site or link that would help me in setting up the manual controls to get the most out of all the settings this camera has. For now the Auto Mode has been doing ok, but I know that with tweaking the manual settings I can achive better results. One thing I'd like to be able to do is take pictures of the various homes in my area whose xmas light display is nothing short of fantastic.

Thanks
Scott C

Scott C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:05 AM   #2

The clicking sound isn't normal and isn't a good sign. Unfortunately, the A75 is prone to a defect which afflicts several models of Canon digital cameras. Put "e18" into the search box here, and you should be able to find out all about the problem. I wish you well, but I fear you will be having problems with your camera down the road.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:20 PM   #3

Try this Scott. When you have your camera on shooting mode turn off your LCD display completely - push display until the screen goes blank. With the display off your shutter will not open up until you press down on the shutter button. Turn off your camera and turn it back on. Listen for that clicking sound. I am going to guess that you won't hear it. The clicking sound is probably the shutter opening right after the lens extends. It's perfectly fine if you hear it.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 9:40 PM   #4

You can also press "Menu" and check out the themes of your A75. There is a "Start Up sound", try to play with, maybe the flutteringnoise you heard is part of the theme.

Ben
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the replys guys.

For the past couple days I've been doing some hands on checking at the stores to determine if the noise is constant with all A75's (in my area) or just mine. Some of the cameras make the noise louder than others but all seem to be doing it. At least with the ones the stores had on display. As far as to how louder or softer they were when compared to mine I couldn't really tell with all the ambiant sounds in the stores. All I could tell was that they were all doing it.

Sam - I tried what you suggested but the noise is still present. It's not really a click sound that I'm getting. It noise I'm hearing actually occurs a split second after the shutter click that you described.

Ben - I've turned off all of the Theme sounds so it's not one of those sounds.

When I press the shutter release I hear the shutter click that Spark mentioned, then there is this split second fluttering type sound followed by the focus points being displayed. I think the sound is the lens mechianism focusing. Either that or the A75's the stores are using for display models are all faulty.

Scott
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:21 PM   #6

The Canon digicams do make a sound as they focus, and it does have a fluttering kind of sound, after which the green light glows confirming correct AF or you get a yellowish blinking flash meaning it could not achieve focus correctly. The VERY short, frustrating time I used my G5 before buying a digital SLR convinced me that digicams cannot focus consistently well indoors in normal light if you move the focal length off anything but the widest zoomsetting. If you cannot get it to focus very well in those type situations I am not suprised. Outdoors in normal light my G5always did pretty good- I even used it on one cruise inside an underwater housing & obtained some very nice shots while snorkelingin what wasa strictly novice underwater experience.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:04 AM   #7

Thanks Greg.

I just have to get use to the noises these cameras make. Other than the click of the shutter on my little 35mm unit all these other sounds can get a person wondering if there is something wrong or not.

Scott