Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:48 PM   #1

Does anyone know when is Canon planing to launch S2 IS? I'm planning to buy a camera now. So, if I don't any indication soon enough fromANY source, I may go with Panasonic FZ20.

:roll:
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:50 PM   #2

S2 IS is just a rumor that people like to talk about. We don't even know if Canon has planned for a replacement for the S1 IS(tho they surely will someday), don't know if its in production or when they plan to put a successor to the S1 IS on the market. Don't be fooled by all these people talking about a rumor.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:50 PM   #3

No one really knows for sure but I would speculate that the key dates to watch are Feb 2005, or Sept 2005, or Feb 2006 or Sept 2006. If you are going to wait that long, you should also wait and see if other competitors like Olympus and Fuji implement image stabilization into their ultra-zooms. If they do, they may be even better (although we don't know). For example, the Olympus 8080 is arguably better than the Canon Pro1...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:49 PM   #4

Thanks Nicolas / Sivaram :-)....I agree, Canon Singapore advised (as expected) that they do not disclose internal launch plans until ready to launch. I think I'll proceed with Panasonic FZ20.

:|
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:40 PM   #5

For what it's worth, someone wrote:

Quote:
My buddy at Canon suggests waiting for the next gen in the spring as it's "well worth waiting for ..." whatever that means.

In the forum at (bottom of the page):

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=133003&page=1&pp=15

turtletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:24 AM   #6

I know its been said before, heck I've said it before!

But why would you want to be the guinea pig that buys the first release with all the bugs??
Look at the pro1 for instance, they had to put tape in the lens to stop dirt from getting in??
People pay attention to version numbers for a reason, When it comes to resale, people avoid version #1 like the plague (unless a security feature was left out)not to mention the price you will pay for it upon release.

Wait and be rewarded.

Is it the "Got to have the newest thing" mentality that makes people foam at the mouth over what new???

I myself learn from history and history says let the first wave of guinea pigs try these cameras out and report back..

They are the front lines of consumerism. God speed my friends Test them and let me know whats wrong with them
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote