Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:11 AM   #1

Is there a way to do this? I would at least like to play Super Mario Brothers (and Half-Life TFC would be nice but I would need more buttons for controls than the camera has, and it doesn't have a wireless internet connection). Also what other games, if any, could I put on a, say, 64MB or 128MB CF card and play on my camera? Is there a way to do this?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:14 PM   #2

your joking right..
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 6:56 PM   #3

I doubt you can play Half Life on the S1 IS but you may be able to play some of hte older, simpler games. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has done it yet so you probably have to wait a long time for it.

The key issue is likely to be processing power. The CPUs on the digicams are very weak (weaker than PDAs) so it will be tough. Furthermore, digicam manufacturers closely guard their software specs so people have to reverse engineer everything (which is tough). In contrast, PDAs and cellphone manufacturers are far more open, and encourage developers to do almost anything (as long as it sells their devices ).

If anyone DOES know how to play games on digicams (Canon S1 IS or not), let me know please. I would be very interested... Right now I don't think there are any games for any cameras. However, it wouldn't surprise me if someone managed to get a game going. But I think the first game is going to be very simple: tetris or blocks/arkanoid, or maybe pong, or something like that
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:03 PM   #4

That's all I was pretty much looking for... for example most games I might play on the camera now might have been in their heyday on the PC in the early to mid 90s.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 11:21 PM   #5

I didn't even know that the camera could be accessed in such a way to reprogram it for games. But even if it could be used for games, I bet that the buttons would be quickly destroyed and worn away to being non-functional due to over-usage.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:42 AM   #6

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
That's all I was pretty much looking for... for example most games I might play on the camera now might have been in their heyday on the PC in the early to mid 90s.
Yeah... I think this will be possible at some point...someone should be able to do it at some point... might take afew more years though...

I don't think you can play games like Half-life since,

(i) they require a powerful CPU... cameras don't have powerful microprocessors... and
(ii) Games like Half-life use 3D graphics and cameras only show 2D (old style) graphics...
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:48 AM   #7

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
I didn't even know that the camera could be accessed in such a way to reprogram it for games.
You should (theoretically) be able to do it but it requires a lot of knowledge of the camera's hardware and software details (none of this is public AFAIK). Since digicams have a writeable display (LCD), and they have a processor (CPU) to carry out actions. You should be able to make the camera's operating system load alternate software for a game, instead of the camera software that is used to take pictures.

Quote:

But even if it could be used for games, I bet that the buttons would be quickly destroyed and worn away to being non-functional due to over-usage.
That is definitely a possibility. Another issue is batteries (which I'm sure will be drained VERY quickly, compared to normal camera use). However, since digicams have a life of only a few years, it is quesitonable whether the buttons will break down before the camera becomes obsolete. Also, some of thte ultra-compacts have rugged design so they may survive (I think the higher-end prosumes may break down more quickly)...
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:07 PM   #8

Then there's the issue with graphic accelerators, polygon drawing etc etc. And then the heating issue since you need a fast processor...which means heat sinks, fans etc. All this..packed into a case the size of a ... well..a camera.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:49 AM   #9

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Then there's the issue with graphic accelerators, polygon drawing etc etc. And then the heating issue since you need a fast processor...which means heat sinks, fans etc. All this..packed into a case the size of a ... well..a camera.
Well... yeah... but that's we start with pong or arkanoid or something Something simple
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:31 AM   #10

Well.... what I mean is.. you can't do that for a camera just yet. Because they can't even make a hand held game that plays things like half-life etc yet. The screen would be too small anyhow to see anything properly.