Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 22, 2004, 1:21 AM   #1

any suggestions on how to get decent sharp low-noise shots at ISO 400, -2 stops compensation, F/2.8 or F/3.1 on the Canon S1 IS? What noise reduction do I use?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:06 AM   #2

Noise Ninja, Neat Image. Shareware. Search with Google.

NoiseWare. Freeware(?) at: http://www.foto-freeware.de/noiseware.php

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:08 AM   #3

PS. Neat Image has a ready "profile" for S1.

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 8:46 PM   #4

attempts at neat-image..

Original ISO 400

Filtered ISO 400

ISO 400, -1 stop in-camera

ISO 400, -1 stop in-camera, levels in PS

ISO 400, -2 stops in-camera

ISO 400, -2 stops in-camera, levels in PS

all above pics have in-camera custom effect - sharpening, saturation, and contrast all set to -1. The pic below has them set to +1 (except contrast is 0) I'd like it to look like the below one, preferably with the flash so I don't have the shadow on the side of my face.

ISO 50, no flash

ISO 50, flash

I'd like to be able to take relatively noise free, sharp, stop-motion photography of people under starlight, with shutter speeds fast enough to capture the detail in an insect's or hummingbird's wing. I want to be able to have the subject looking straight at the camera and not know that it's there, while he/she (usually the latter ) is properly exposed or even 1/3 to 2/3 stops overexposed, and razor sharp even when the subject is in lateral (relative to the camera view) motion.

Do I have to wait for the 5-megapixel 1"-sensor 720mm focal length F/0.125 - F/2.0 / F/16 $350 72mm_x_57mm_x_180_mm Canon S2 IS?
Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:50 AM   #5

Is there any software to reduce S1 IS movie noise??? I don't want to convert .avi to some other format. I want a software that can reduce noise without reducing the file size and in .avi format itself :idea:
aeapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 1:59 PM   #6

aeapen wrote:
Quote:
Is there any software to reduce S1 IS movie noise??? I don't want to convert .avi to some other format. I want a software that can reduce noise without reducing the file size and in .avi format itself :idea:
I would be interested in an answer to this... does anyone know of software (hopefully something that doesn't cost a lot) that reduces noise in videos?

Thanks!
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:22 PM   #7

I use Imagenomic's Noiseware pro plug-in with my Elements 3 and have found it to work very well for fixing my noisy iso400 shots with my Panasonic FZ20.
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:27 PM   #8

Sounds to me like what you really need is a good digital SLR that lets you take shots at iso 400-800 with little to no noise. I have had the same frustration with my Panasonic FZ20 regarding noise. It comes with the territory of small sensor size with large amount of pixels unfortunately. I have been looking at the new Canon 20D. If I could afford it, plus the stabilized tele lenses that would allow me to shoot birds, that's the way I would go.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:15 AM   #9

Is there a film SLR that will let me re-use the film, scan the film into a scanner and import into my computer, and has a good movie mode? I prefer that it cost no more than what my S1 IS and a 1GB generic memory card would cost now if bought new, and I prefer the camera itself to be not less than $200-300. I'll also need 6400-speed film (or maybe a few f-stops faster) and an F/1.0 or wider 72 - 144mm (fixed length is ok but the shorter the FL is the wider I want the aperture) lens.

Otherwise, what's a good way to take a stop-insect-wing-motion properly-exposed (or slightly overexposed) shot of someone when they're looking straight at you and it's too dark for them to see the camera?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:16 AM   #10

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I use Imagenomic's Noiseware pro plug-in with my Elements 3 and have found it to work very well for fixing my noisy iso 400 shots with my Panasonic FZ20.
If I understand correctly, resizing also reduces noise somewhat. Do you think you could either link to the full 2048x1536 image, or crop at a 1:1 ratio my face and post that please?