Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:48 PM   #21
Administrator

Herb wrote:
Quote:
You mean the 5 megapixels can't make up - even to a small extent - for the lack of more zoom than 3x?

With a 5MP model, you could use about 21% less zoom than a comparable 3MP model, and still get about the same amount of subject detail in pixels per inch.

But, not everyone takes their photos at longer focal lengths either. So, if someone was taking their photos at the focal lengths that a 5MP model supported, then those photos would have more detail compared to a 3MP model (provided that everything else between the models was equivalent).

Of course, depending on the print sizes needed, neither model may have the advantage (you're not going to see the increase in detail at smaller print sizes anyway).

You also have to look at things like lens sharpness, dynamic range, color accuracy, contrast, etc., and there can be many more differences between models other than resolution and optical zoom.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:05 PM   #22

I purchased the A95 and I am glad I did. With my limited experience with cameras but having sent pictures from various cameras via email, I have never seen a clear picture as the A95 gives. Yes, there is no 10X and IS but really, having a quality picture is more important for me. Thanks all for your comments.
celo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:10 PM   #23

Hi JimC - Can't help asking; I thought MP was not very important as long as you don't print BIG pictures. So, are you saying more megapixel will give better PQ? I am little confused now.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:19 PM   #24
Administrator

celo wrote:
Quote:
Hi JimC - Can't help asking; I thought MP was not very important as long as you don't print BIG pictures. So, are you saying more megapixel will give better PQ? I am little confused now.
Absolutely not... I didn't say that. Read my previous post where I said this:

Quote:
Of course, depending on the print sizes needed, neither model may have the advantage (you're not going to see the increase in detail at smaller print sizes anyway).

You also have to look at things like lens sharpness, dynamic range, color accuracy, contrast, etc., and there can be many more differences between models other than resolution and optical zoom.
IMO, 3 Megapixels is fine for prints up to 8x10" (or even larger, depending on the subject type and viewing distance). Chances are, on most printers at typical viewing distances, you're not going to notice anybenefit by going to a higher resolution model at8x10" or smaller sizes (if everything else about the cameras is equal).

Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:26 PM   #25

I thought you meant it when you said:

So, if someone was taking their photos at the focal lengths that a 5MP model supported, then those photos would have more detail compared to a 3MP model (provided that everything else between the models was equivalent).

Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:43 PM   #26
Administrator

celo wrote:
Quote:

So, if someone was taking their photos at the focal lengths that a 5MP model supported, then those photos would have more detail compared to a 3MP model (provided that everything else between the models was equivalent).

Yes, but you're taking it out of context... The photos would have more detail in pixels per inch. But, you're not going to see the increase in detail at smaller print sizes.

Here is the entire post:

Quote:
With a 5MP model, you could use about 21% less zoom than a comparable 3MP model, and still get about the same amount of subject detail in pixels per inch.

But, not everyone takes their photos at longer focal lengths either. So, if someone was taking their photos at the focal lengths that a 5MP model supported, then those photos would have more detail compared to a 3MP model (provided that everything else between the models was equivalent).

Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:31 PM   #27

JimC wrote:
Quote:
celo wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but you're taking it out of context... The photos would have more detail in pixels per inch. But, you're not going to see the increase in detail at smaller print sizes.

Here is the entire post:

Quote:

I see. So, unless you have your pictures developed/printed small/regular size, then there will be no difference. That's what I thought but I misunderstood you. I just did not know bigger size prints would have better picture when taken with 5MP vs. 3MP, good to know. Thank you.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:57 PM   #28

celo wrote:
Quote:
I purchased the A95 and I am glad I did. With my limited experience with cameras but having sent pictures from various cameras via email, I have never seen a clear picture as the A95 gives. Yes, there is no 10X and IS but really, having a quality picture is more important for me. Thanks all for your comments.
That's the thing. I own an S1 and I can't say I can recommend it. Its alright, I guess. Low light pics require manual mode. ALL pics are soft. Whatever.. There's no reason to buy an S1 nowdays because of panasonic Z-line of cameras.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:03 PM   #29

the A95 is 5 megapixel so even if you use digital zoom you will come away with a 1 to 3mp image. so it shouldn't be that bad.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote