Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:27 PM   #1

I have been using Canon A300 and now time to step up. I definetly want another Canon. I think they make the best cameras. This is of course my opinion. I love the PQ of the A95 which I think the best ever I have seen from a consumer camera. Then I saw the S1 IS which has very good PQ but not good as A95. S1 has 10X optical and IS feature which makes it really attractive. I don't care about the 3.2mp since I will not need it. I am torn between the two and leaning little more towards the S1 since it has nice features but then I see the pictures of A95 and want to buy this one. I am not sure if my eyes playing game with me but I see quite a bit better PQ with the A95. Am I right? I am just a regular user but also like to use some features like zooming more than 3X outdoors when I want/need to and my hands can be shaky sometimes, hmm IS would be good What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
celo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:54 PM   #2

I have the S1 IS & am quite pleased with it - see, e.g. the attached picture - click below.

On the other hand I find that on a dull, cloudy day (as today was), when the camera wanted to use F4 and an exposure of 1/20 second or longer (the camera was hand-held) I didn't get satisfactory pictures: the IS didn't help and the resolution wasn't as good as at f 5.6

In conditions like that, I find it better to use a tripod and aperture priority.

I've sometimes wondered if I'd have been more satisfied with the A95 - but with the A95 I'd always need to use a tripod and I wouldn't have the 10x zoom......

Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:31 PM   #3
Administrator

Just remember that macro and super-macro is even more demanding than long telephoto - for the same reasons - magnification of any hand shake. Macro is always best done on a tripod regardless of camera or lens being used. And don't forget to use the self-timer
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:39 PM   #4

steve wrote:
Quote:
Just remember that macro and super-macro is even more demanding than long telephoto - for the same reasons - magnification of any hand shake. Macro is always best done on a tripod regardless of camera or lens being used. And don't forget to use the self-timer
I am little lost here but for the self timer thing; I started to use the self timer a lot more, it helps a lot too

Edit: Did not want to post again, thanks for the picture Herb
Old Dec 24, 2004, 1:03 PM   #5

Steve - thanks for that advice. I'm going to use my tripod a lot more often. And now that you mention using the self-timer, I've sometimes noticed vibration in the tripod (and it isn't a flimsy one) when I've pressed the camera shutter. Now I have to figure out how to activate the S1 IS self-timer..........
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:01 PM   #6

Guess which one is A95?
Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:02 PM   #7

Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:03 PM   #8

Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:08 PM   #9

All are 2048 X 1536

A95 was reduced to 2048 X 1536

Which one do you think look better?
Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2004, 2:09 PM   #10

Sorry for the big sizes but this is the best way to compare them.
Attached Images