Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 24, 2004, 6:30 AM   #1

Good morning

Am new and confused. :?

First question

In shooting at 5 mpixels , all files (jpg) end up in my pc with +/- 1.5 megs in size.

I go to wallmart for processing and photos are very adequate.

With this compression, (almost 3 to 1)do I loose quality in printing or is the printer bring back the full resolution

Second question

With raw I get +/- 5 megs of file size. Do I have to treat the raw file for development and can Wallmart handlefiles as large as 5 megs? Will my picture be better?

Seasons Greetings

Regards

Ray

rayg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:16 AM   #2

Wal Mart will likely not be able to use the raw images. They are unique to each make of camera – unlike JPG or TIFF which are standard image types. You must process them to get TIFF or JPG.

You will find that your 5Mp raw images decompress to 14.4 Mb TIFF files, which is about the size Photoshop will decompress your JPGs to when it opens them. So your compression is a lot more than 3:1. 1.5Mb seems like too much compression for best quality. You don't say which camera you have, but any 5Mp camera with raw capability should have a better quality JPG available to you. Fuji is busy using smoke and mirrors to up their MP and they use an extreme compression so you can't directly compare, but I don't think they make a 5Mp camera.

Just call Wal Mart and ask what file size they take – I've read they have a limit. When you process your raw images be sure to save the originals – they are your digital negatives should you ever want more than a 4 X 6. Same for the JPGs from your camera – save the originals regardless of what you do with the cropping and post processing.

You won't see any difference between raw and JPG for small prints. You will with large prints - especially with the high compression you are using for JPG. Some cameras handle raw at a higher bit rate giving a little better color if you decode them to 16 bit.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:20 AM   #3

Actually it is possible to shoot in 5mp at Superfine with a Canon camera and still have some "small" files of 1.5mb. It depends on the scene you are shooting.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:42 PM   #4

Hello

I have a Canon G5 using photo album 5 and Paint Shop Pro 9

Regards

Ray
rayg5 is offline   Reply With Quote