Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:09 PM   #1

In the Quick Start Guide, the directions say to:

1. Press the shutter button halfway down to focus
2. Press the shutter button all the way down to shoot

Now, is there a way to reduce the time the camera takes to focus? It seems like it takes forever.

Also is there a way to combine the two steps, like a setting somewhere that would allow one to just press the shutter button once (either normally or "halfway down") and have the camera immediately focus and shoot?

The reason I ask these questions is that I bought the camera for my mom, and she mainly uses it to take pictures of her pets. But by the time both of those steps are followed (on the camera as it is out of the box), 10 or so seconds have elapsed and the animals are usually long gone.

With every other digital camera I've ever used, the user only has to press the shutter button once, and the picture is taken virtually immediately after that. I'm hoping I can achieve the same thing with the PowerShot A75 by changing a setting or two somewhere.

Thank you.
John6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:56 PM   #2

It shouldnt take THAT long (10 seconds?!)
Mine takes maybe one second to focus when i push it halfway down. This is when its on auto. Try resetting the settings and see what happens. I dont remember seeing anything in the manual about focus times.
s5pitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:53 PM   #3

Something is set wrong on the camera. My A75 takes less than one second to

focus. Read the manual carefully. Go to the Canon site and look around.

SUPERTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:35 AM   #4

I have to agree with the others, it doesn't take that long to focus... unless you are using the wrong setting/s.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:41 AM   #5

The auto mode takes longer then manual. for me maybe 1 or 2 seconds. and I don't press half way I press and hold for a second it focuses and then shoots, depending on the shot it may take a little longer. What I have found is set up the manual mode with the settings you like and it takes even less time. turn red eye off and even less. no digicam is perfect, kodak and sonys I found to be the fastest out so far, although they don't offer alot of the features found on the canon and canon's image quality is better imho.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:48 AM   #6

If you want to reduce the time between when u want to take the picture and when u actually take it, I suggest that you set the focus manually to a certain distance or you can use the Autofocus and "convert" it into what it would be in manual focus and save it. That way u can just click entirely to take the picture. The main problem with that is that you should set the focus properly at first or else your pictures will be out of focus. I don't remember how to set it so that everything past a certain distance will be in focus.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote