Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:50 PM   #1

Posted this in another forum, but wanted more feedback by getting more viewers on the thread.

So after finally getting the camera, here are some results.

http://www.cozma.net/view/Img_5078.jpg

The above was taken in the 1600x1200 mode, no editing has been done to the size or quality. Straight from the camera.

http://www.cozma.net/view/Img_5089.jpg

This image was taken in the highest resolution 3072x???(I can't remember) and was sized down to 1/4 the original size.

Opinions? Comments? -- Why do my clouds look so blurry? :[ and why is the bottom right corner blurry?

Would a 5.1 megapixel camera deliver a clearer picture than a 7.1 megapixel camera? I have been hearing rumors that the larger megapixel cameras don't deliver as high-quality of detail due to the higher count of megapixels. Is this true or myth? [/lost]
Cozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:03 AM   #2

Not bad... but the pics are a bit too dark for me to see many details... these are good shots but they are not so good when it comes to evaluating/testing a camera...

Always shoot at the highest res and then resize. You never know when you might want to print a big picture and imagine if you took a very nice picture but only at low res? The only reason you really wouldn't is if you are running low on memory (but memory cards are cheap these days)...

Some cameras have a problem called vignetting. This is when corners become dark at certain zoom positions. But it's hard to tell from your pic (since the images are a bit too dark for me to see much).

Some people say that Canon cameras produce soft pics (my Canon S1 IS definitely does; and supposedly the Canon 20D DSLR does too--not sure) and require sharpening (either in-camera or in an image editor). Some people say Canon does this so that the user has more control (if you sharpen an image, you can't reverse the process). Try sharpening the image. I'll post your pic after sharpening in another msg below...

Quote:
Would a 5.1 megapixel camera deliver a clearer picture than a 7.1 megapixel camera? I have been hearing rumors that the larger megapixel cameras don't deliver as high-quality of detail due to the higher count of megapixels. Is this true or myth?
It's true... Given two cameras with identical sensor size, the one with the higher megapixels will produce more noise. So if two cameras have the same sensor size, it is best to get one with lower megapixels. There IS such a thing as having too many megapixels! However, sensor technology also improves (i.e. less noise is produced even with same size sensor) so sometimes it is hard to tell sometimes across generations of cameras. Your camera certainly has massive number of megapixels so I expect it to have more noise than, say, an equivalent sensor-sized 3 megapixel camera.

What I said above pretty much just applies to NOISE. Noise is the little dots that you see (especially if you take high ISO pics or low-light pics). The higher megapixels do not really degrade the image quality per se. Issues such as poor colours, vignetting, warping and distortion, poor focus, etc are not really caused by this... (someone correct me if anything I said is incorrect--thanks)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:05 AM   #3

I'm going to post your first pic with and without sharpening... I don't know if the fuzziness/softness you mention is due to lack of sharpening...

Here is the original pic...the image has not been modified except for the following...resized to 640x480 and JPEG compressed with quality level of 90 using Arcsoft PhotoStudio...
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:06 AM   #4

The following image is sharpened using Arcsoft PhotoStudio (this comes bundled with my Canon S1 IS and probably comes with yours too)... to sharpen, go to the menu: Enhance->Sharpen (you can also use 'Sharpen Lightly' and 'Sharpen Heavily' in other situations)...

Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:17 AM   #5

Does your clouds still look blurry? Or are they ok after sharpening?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:33 PM   #6

The second picture looks better, I can see much better detail on the pier (the pavillion) and thecloud structure... but still some noise in clouds;3

How'd you do that?:]
Cozma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:25 AM   #7

Cozma wrote:
Quote:
The second picture looks better, I can see much better detail on the pier (the pavillion) and the cloud structure... but still some noise in clouds ;3
Yeah... I like the 2nd one better too... you can also see the peaks and troughs of the waves. The waves look much better with sharpening. My Canon S1 IS (which is an ultra-zoom) requires sharpening with nearly all the pics. I usually sharpen them after taking the picture?

Quote:
How'd you do that?:]
What? The sharpening? It's a process that you can carry out using most image editing software. The Arcsoft PhotoStudio software that comes bundled with my Canon S1 IS has the choice under the 'Enhance' menu->'Sharpen' sub-menu. Other software programs like Photoshop or whatever also has sharpening (usually under some sort of filters section).

Alternatively, some cameras (I think the S70 has this) lets you sharpen in-camera. It's a setting (usually called 'sharpening') which lets to sharpen strongly, weakly, or none.