Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:11 PM   #1

Hello people, I read a review where there was a redeye issue with this camera. That is the only thing holding me back. Don't tell me software can take care of it. LOL I have fixed thousands of pictures with redeye and I'd like to reduce the number of times I have to do that process real soon!
Is there a lot of redeye fixing to do?

TX for any help..
pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2
Administrator

The closer a flash is to a camera's lens, the greater the potential for redeye. So, in at least some shooting conditions, virtually all small cameras will have it.

To reduce the number of photos with redeye, your best bet is to buy a model that you can use an external flash with. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:34 PM   #3

Jim is right Pulp. If Redeye is holding you back from buying an A95 you can forget all digicams and just go straight to a digital SLR. Any built-in flash is going to cause redeye. Ever wonder why they call that mode redeye REDUCTION and not redeye ELIMINATION? Makers know for the most part it does not work. Marketing, man- it's everywhere.

One way to reduce the amount of redeye, although nothing is 100% would be to shoot your flash shots at the wide-angle setting. If you zoom to the telephoto end and shoot indoors with flash redeye will happen virtually 100% of the time. Even with an SLR and shoe-mounted separate flash unit you can get redeye when using a longer telephoto. SLR users have to resort to a flash bracket to get the flash even further away from the lens- digicams don't stand a chance to prevent it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:38 AM   #4

True .... a lot of digicams will have red-eye. Although I must say, my recently bought canon G6 is red eye city, while my nikon 950 has never produced anywhere near as much red eye as the G6. With the G6... it's like red eye all over the place. Fortunately, the G6 has a hotshoe, so maybe I will use an external canon flash...but that's back home in Australia, while I'm overseas right now in Boulder. CO.

Cool to see how your name is the same as one of Australia's all-time best past cricket players Greg hehe.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:55 AM   #5

A few months ago I was on the phone wil Dell Support (in Bombay, India!) and the guy asked me if I had ever been told that.

Oh, yes. Some day I need to sit down and try to figure that game out.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:43 AM   #6

I recently bought the Canon A85 (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE) and, with the redeye reduction feature on I don't get much redeye, but without it, I get zombie eyes! The redeye reduction lamp seems to work great. (By the way, there is a red eye marker you can use right on the photo which completely returns the eye to the natural color on the photo.I didn't believe it would work, but it is amazing. I had to get one because I took a bunch of photos without the redeye reduction thing on, and I didn't want to mess with the software! LOL Anyway, I was skeptical, but the redeye pen WORKED. You can't tell that anything was done to the photo at all.

Pam P.
Pamp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Administrator

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Although I must say, my recently bought canon G6 is red eye city, while my nikon 950 has never produced anywhere near as much red eye as the G6.
I dunno about that. I've spent a LOT of time correcting redeye from Coolpix 950 and 990 photos. They had a pretty bad reputation for redeye. As a result, Nikon moved the flash further away from the lens starting with the Coolpix 995 to try and help reduce it.

Nikon 950 photo (straight from the camera except for rotation and downsizing):

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:56 AM   #8

hmm...interesting. That's pretty serious red-eye alright. I've had my 950 for like 6 years and I didn't get red-eye anywhere near as much as my G6. Your photo is pretty bright...the exposure doesn't look too bad at all.

I'm no expert at removing red-eye using a paint editor. I mean, I know how to use clone tool etc...but to precisely get in there and remove red-eye without making the irises, pupils etc look strange... I haven't quite figured that out yet. The other night, I was taking pics at a party with the G6..geez...the results weren't too impressive with the red eyes.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:22 AM   #9

TX fellahs, I purchased the A95 and it rocks! I have been unable to purposefully CREATE redeye shots. LOL Even when redeye is off, I still don't get it. Incredible, I will be using software to reduce redeye very infrequently from now on... thank goodness.

Love the swivel LCD Monitor!
pulp is offline   Reply With Quote