Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2004, 2:45 PM   #11

Thanks for the kind information about panorama factory. I will really give it a try. Much appreciated.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:52 PM   #12

Here's my first try with 4 shots of my post Christmas basement mess! Top of stairs and ceiling are curving, doh! ;-)

Attached Images

pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:23 AM   #13

I have a lot of barrel distortion with my Canon S1 IS at wide-angle too It's harder to take a panorama of a room.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:38 AM   #14

Powerhot S1, 5 pictures and The Panorama Factory (Best!!!)

Attached Images

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:33 PM   #15

Kenny - Thanks for mentioning this topic. It made me realise that I'd never bothered to try out the programs that came with my S1 IS.

On the disc that came with my camera it's called Photo Stitch - and a few minutes ago I installed it and tried it out. My first effort required a crop because the forground was rather distorted, but even so, I'm very impressed. This pan was made from 2 pictures.

Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:40 PM   #16

You're most welcome Herb. You did a nice job with the yard panorama. I've got like seam shades, but I can't see any in yours. Nice effort.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:05 PM   #17

Thanks Kenny. It was more good luck than skill. My first effort included a third picture over to the left, but as you'll see in this picture (cropped from the resulting pan) the garden gateway was a bit more than even Canon's excellent program could cope with!
Herb
Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:07 PM   #18

You guys have some decent panaromas... If I may critque the last pic that was posted... the sky is blown out (overexposure problem it looks like)... also the pic looks noisy and soft. S1 IS produces soft pics (and needs sharpening--I usually use the bundled PhotoStudio to sharpen) but this looks different. It could be JPEG compression but I don't think it is. It looks like as if the pic was shot at a high ISO. Dd you know what ISO you shot your pic with? I usually shoot at the lowest (ISO 50) when outdoors...
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:15 PM   #19

AdWulf's panorama has less problems than most that are posted here...

One thing that I would have preferred is if the Canon built-in stitch mode had let you take a very large 3x3 or 4x4 pic. Right now it only lets you take 2x2 or horizontal or vertical ...
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:59 PM   #20

It isn't a bit surprising that the sky is overexposed & noisy. The resolution isn't too great either, even in the original, roughly 2mb shots.

The contrast between the sky and ground was extreme; no filter of any sort was used to tone it down; & the camera was set on automatic so I've no idea what ISO it used - nor the shutter speed or aperture......

The aim wasn't quality - just a few pictures with the camera hand-held to see how the Canon Photo Stitch program would perform.