Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:09 AM   #21

If my picture has "less" problems is because I'm using The Panorama Factory. The same picture with Photostich looks like 5 "glued" pictures.

Following is a picture taken with my old A60 AND Panorama.
Attached Images

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:59 PM   #22

After reading about Panorama Factory, I downloaded the free version of it, and then took three new shots of the back yard. They were taken with our old Leica Digilux Zoom (same as the Fuji 1700MX - 1.5 megapixels). I didn't aim for high quality pictures.

Then I used Panorama Factory for one pan and Canon Photostitch for the other.

Here are the results for you to compare.

I didn't crop the Canon version - Canon Photostitch did it automatically.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:31 PM   #23

yah...I used the auto mode setting when I was shooting my panorama sub pictures. So next time, I will have to focus lock, and exposure lock to try reduce the shades.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:18 PM   #24

Hi Herb. I don't understand how do You get these distorted pictures.

With Panorama Factory did You use "New Project Wizard" or "New Project"? Did You choice Partial Panorama or 360 degree? "Spherical" or "Cylindrical" ecc.

Wizard will do all the job including Crop. Did You set the right Camera Type on Wizard? In my opinion the picture quality of the second set is not so good as the first. Have your camera a stich selection?

Try different settings.

Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:52 PM   #25

Adwulf - I don't recall using any particular settings - maybe I should try harder...... Or maybe the free version of Panorama Factory isn't so versatile as other versions - I don't recall seeing much choice of settings.

Herb
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:03 PM   #26

I've had another go at it - this time using the trial Shareware version of Panorama Factory. It was a lot easier to use than the free version, but it still wasn't as quick or easy as the Canon program. Also the Panorama Factory program created and retained on the computer something like half a dozen or more BMP files as it went through the various steps, whereas the Canon produces & files only the final JPEG result.

The three component pictures were taken with the S1 IS mounted on a tripod with a spirit level in the head. That solved the problem that both the Panorama Factory and the Canon Photostitch programs previously had of the two parts of the roofed gate not matching up.

The Canon program has clearly done a better job of merging the sky components as well as better merging the whole of the right hand picture. Neither program though was able to preserve all of the power lines!

Maybe I still haven't mastered all the intricacies of Panorama Factory, but so far, my vote's still for Canon PhotoStitch.
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:48 PM   #27

I do hope Canon decides to improve it's PowerStitch program. :|I really enjoyed taking panoramic pictures.

Btw, nice comparison.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:51 PM   #28

The panorama factory pic you posted up just before this post looks way sharper than the photostitch one, that's for sure! Nice!!!
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:45 AM   #29

Hi Herb. Well done. To me (on my screen "Sony 400PS") seems that Panorama did a better job with "adjusting" the pictures. Better light, sharper result etc. But I agree, it takes a lot of time. I changed somewhere in the program and all BMP files don't be saved anymore. I'm still using ZB 4.6.1 because when I updated to 5.0 Photostich and Capture didn't work anymore.

BTW I'm using ACDsee 7.0to DL pictures from camera, as Album ecc.

Which camera did You choiced on Panorama? Did You test Panorama i "New Project" form. In this way You can adjust manually each picture.

Again to me: Photostich is easy and quick, but Panoaram (there many shareware to choice) does a better job.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:44 AM   #30

The interesting thing is that the two pics are cropped differently. One is slightly lower than the other one. That's the most interesting thing I find between these two programs--at least based on the sample pics. I wonder what sort of pics will be produced by these two programs in more difficult, heavily warped, pics...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote