Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:57 PM   #31

Adwulf -

I don't recall seeing any camera choice on either the free version or the shareware trial version of Panorama Factory. I'll have to look into the other versions sometime when I have the time to spare....

I'm still using ACDSee 3.0 - I've tried later versions, but I like version 3.0 best. I also use Irfanview & Photoshop L.E. & Neat Image & JPEG Optimizer.

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:24 PM   #32

The Panorama Factory 3.3 atWizard:

1) Import your images

2) Describe your camera

3) Control image quality

4) Select panorama type

5) Create your panorama

At this point Factory begins work.

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:18 PM   #33
J5

First of all -- sorry for the wide file (the original is 14,000 pixels wide!).

This Photostitch panorama of the Victoria, BC, Canada harbouris comprised of 7 shots and I think it turned out very well. To eliminate barreling, I shot the images zoomed out to about 250mm. You can see where the stitching took placein a couple of placesbut the rest of the joints are very difficult to see (even when you know where they are!). If I were to spend a bit of time in Photoshop cleaning it up, I doubt that anyone would be able to tell where the stitch joints are (I didn't clean up the joints so that you could see the results directly from Photostitch).

I think the key to taking good panoramas is being sure that the contrast is even throughout all your shots -- you need to determine this before you decide to do a panorama -- not all conditions work. It also helps to take the photos as quickly as possible to avoid changes in cloud patterns and lighting. Just MHO.
Attached Images

J5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:09 AM   #34

OK, how do you paste a pic in???

Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:55 AM   #35

That Victoria panaroma is nice. I like it a lot... If I may criticize it, I think it would have been better in daylight (maybe dusk) or night. In any case, that's a nice pic...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:57 AM   #36

Kavoom wrote:
Quote:
OK, how do you paste a pic in???
When you reply/post a message, there is some space at the bottom which says 'attachment' and there is a 'Browse...' button. Click on the browse button and select the image you want to post. Supposedly it has to be less than 250,400 bytes, and you can only post one picture per message.

(But if you have your image on another website that allows hotlinking, you can link to that image as a URL image)
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:25 PM   #37

Putting in my 2 cents worth. I have made a couple of seamless pics that you can view on my web page. they are at the bottom of this link. Also I made the VR files too.

http://www.radarscastle.com/RockyForkLake.htm

If you get a page not found, Try back later. Been comming home to find my web server shut down.:?

All Photo's on this page were taken with the Canon S1 IS.

Tim

ZippyZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:25 PM   #38

I'd suggest you use the manual mode on your camera when shooting pictures you intend to stitch together. The "stitch" mode on the Canon pint and shoot cameras can't really compensate enough for exposure differences over several pictures, leaving significant banding in the finished product.

There's a very interesting free demo of a completely automatic autostitch program available from the University of British Columbia. Try

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

This is a really smart application (a work in progress at this point) that looks for matching edges on the photos you point to. It appears to "recocognize" the photos in any order, taken in rows or columns. I use it for making panoramas with my EOS 20D. Locking in exposure by using the Manual setting, I have experienced no banding.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote