Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1

Has anyone ever had a problem with an external flash on a G3 (or similar) camera? I just purchased a 420EX flash to use on my G3 and the pictures are all dark - it is like the evaluative pre-flash is not working. The flash seems to work fine on a Canon Rebel 2000. Is this a problem with the hotshoe? Any ideas or suggestions for testing? Repair? Thanks for the help.
smankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:00 PM   #2

It should work fine with your g3. You can adjust the flash compensation via the camera. You should check that setting. Also the flash will not ttl meter if you are in manual mode. Try it with the camera in auto mode and it should work just fine.
prevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I have tried all settings on the camera, including manual. I normally use the Program mode without the external flash and adjust the flash down two stops to help with redeye. I tried everything and read the limited 420EX manual many times, as well as going back through the G3 manual. I have cleaned the hotshoe with isopropyl alcohol and also with an eraser tip. I also removed the battery from the camera and let it sit a couple of hours to reset. No luck. I think I will need to send it to Canon or some local camera shop.
smankins is offline   Reply With Quote