Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:37 AM   #11

goshik1966 wrote:
Quote:
I agree that flash makes things easy even in total darkness, but the problem is to get focus on "fast moving objects" such as my kids. That's where I have some problems even using flash . So, I'm still thinking about this light
Flash should freeze the action of moving kids. I haven't noticed any problems with fast moving objects with flash (I don't have any kids though ). If flash doesn't help that then these other lights aren't going to either (the flash is brighter than these lamps I think).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:46 AM   #12

I think that all owner from S1 IS should write to Canon and ask for a firmware update. In their EOS 10D, they use the flash as AF illuminator (they are many modes: with and without firing the flash for the picture.). I think it should be possible for Canon to make a new firmware with this option. Souldn't be too much work, as they use this possibility for the EOs 10D, and maybe for other cameras.

What do you think about this?
_Attila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:48 AM   #13

I really agree. The flash would be way brighter than those lamps.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:49 AM   #14

_Attila_ wrote:
Quote:
I think that all owner from S1 IS should write to Canon and ask for a firmware update. In their EOS 10D, they use the flash as AF illuminator (they are many modes: with and without firing the flash for the picture.). I think it should be possible for Canon to make a new firmware with this option. Souldn't be too much work, as they use this possibility for the EOs 10D, and maybe for other cameras.

What do you think about this?
It's probably not that easy to do right? I mean..if they could do it easily, maybe they would have included this feature already? If they keep using the flash as an illuminator, it might shorten the life of the flash bulb maybe for this particular type of unit..ie the S1IS.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:12 AM   #15

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
It's probably not that easy to do right? I mean..if they could do it easily, maybe they would have included this feature already? If they keep using the flash as an illuminator, it might shorten the life of the flash bulb maybe for this particular type of unit..ie the S1IS.
Well, i'm not so sure they would have done it. Look, they made it a 3,2 MP camera, why not a 4 MP? I would say because of ther other models (I think it's the G1 that is from about the same time) which had suffered from the selling of the S1 IS. So, maybe they just didn't spend the S1 IS an AF illuminator because most of the ultra zoom camera don't have it. Or maybe they didn't thought about the possibility of using the flash as an AF illuminator.

For your concern about the life of the bulb: well, wha'ts the expected lifespan of a digicam? 2-3 years (as it is a 3,2 MP), not many more. I don't think we can kill the flash in such an short lifespan. Even if, we could upgrade the bulb for a new one, or a better one. I would happily spent 50-100$ for having a build in AF illuminator on my S1 IS . I love this camera, but I hate it too, for the lack of the AF illuminator. :evil:

I'm thinking about a new one: Panasonic FZ20: 12x Zoom, and AF illuminator. Problem: price and all the accesories: card reader, spare battery, SD card...

Nico

ps: sorry for my English, hope everyone can undestand it
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:26 PM   #16

_Attila_ wrote:
Quote:
I think that all owner from S1 IS should write to Canon and ask for a firmware update. In their EOS 10D, they use the flash as AF illuminator (they are many modes: with and without firing the flash for the picture.).
Are you talking about that (orange) light that is on before the flash fires? If you really wanted to use that, you can force flash on and then half-press the shutter and hold it. If you half-press the light goes on.... I'm not sure if this is going to fix the problem but it's one option if you are really talking about that pre-flash orange light...

Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:30 PM   #17

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
2. allows for 10 stops faster shutter speed at ISO 50 than would otherwise be available at ISO 400 assuming all other settings and exposure remain the same
I don't think you are going to get that out of any camera. Unless I'm mistaken, even a camera with an AF-assist lamp, like the Panasonic FZ3, can get 10 more stops...I could be wrong of course...
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:23 PM   #18

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
Are you talking about that (orange) light that is on before the flash fires? If you really wanted to use that, you can force flash on and then half-press the shutter and hold it. If you half-press the light goes on.... I'm not sure if this is going to fix the problem but it's one option if you are really talking about that pre-flash orange light...

No, I'm really talking about using the flash bulb as AF illuminator. The camera should light up the flash, not a full power, to lighten up the scene. I would be happy with a distance of 3 meters (better as nothing :lol.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:03 PM   #19

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
2. allows for 10 stops faster shutter speed at ISO 50 than would otherwise be available at ISO 400 assuming all other settings and exposure remain the same
I don't think you are going to get that out of any camera. Unless I'm mistaken, even a camera with an AF-assist lamp, like the Panasonic FZ3, can get 10 more stops...I could be wrong of course...
I was talking about actually EXPOSING the picture WITHOUT a flash, with a much faster shutter speed.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:06 PM   #20

Maybe one of these could be useful...

http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/lig...-headlamps.htm