Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:14 AM   #21

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Maybe one of these could be useful...

http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/lig...-headlamps.htm
LOL... well, you'd certainly get lots of pictures of people laughing, because if I saw someone strap on one of these just to get a shot I'd be on the floor. :G
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:15 AM   #22

There are far more stupid things you can do to get a good shot. By the way, any superbrite white led will do the same thing. they are cheap and last forever.

Personally, I use the manual focus to set the cameras hyperfocal distance in low light situations. once its set, everything stays in focus. Mind you I don't zoom in to 10xin low light, I pretendI have a 3x zoom and all my pics turn out good. I do this only in very low ambient light. I'm used to using motion picture film cameras where every shot is actually measured, so I don't consider setting a hyperfocal distance to be a nusance. ( it takes seconds..)

I actually found a very useful guide for S1 users.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9583614

I cut and pasted them all into word, I'm in the process of editing them down. My goal is to break them up into differentsections and list thetips in point form.

(thats the idea anyway)

Please don't mind that its on another forum, S1 users desrve to connect with eachother. After all, this is both the the most loved and most hated camera around.:cart:

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:43 AM   #23

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
There are far more stupid things you can do to get a good shot. By the way, any superbrite white led will do the same thing. they are cheap and last forever.

Personally, I use the manual focus to set the cameras hyperfocal distance in low light situations. once its set, everything stays in focus. Mind you I don't zoom in to 10xin low light, I pretendI have a 3x zoom and all my pics turn out good. I do this only in very low ambient light. I'm used to using motion picture film cameras where every shot is actually measured, so I don't consider setting a hyperfocal distance to be a nusance. ( it takes seconds..)

I actually found a very useful guide for S1 users.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=9583614

I cut and pasted them all into word, I'm in the process of editing them down. My goal is to break them up into differentsections and list thetips in point form.

(thats the idea anyway)

Please don't mind that its on another forum, S1 users desrve to connect with eachother. After all, this is both the the most loved and most hated camera around.:cart:

I agrre with you for setting the focal distance (1,5m, f/4.0 :G) and shooting pictures like this. But the problem is that when you turn the S1 off and on, this camera can't remember to stay in the manual focus mode, and get the focus somewhere else. Or am I missing something?

_Attila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:52 AM   #24

_Attila_ wrote:
Quote:
I agrre with you for setting the focal distance (1,5m, f/4.0 :G) and shooting pictures like this. But the problem is that when you turn the S1 off and on, this camera can't remember to stay in the manual focus mode, and get the focus somewhere else. Or am I missing something?

You can save those settings to C and come back to it on power up by dialling to the C mode.

Oculus Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:36 PM   #25

Using the flash as AF? That's VERY easy to do, in fact Canon HAS done it. My old S30 had it and it worked wonderfully. In low light, when you half press the shutter, the flash bulb would turn on and stay on until you press the shutter, at which point the flash would fire normally. No big deal. WHY it's not available on S1 is a whole differeng discussion.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:37 PM   #26

_Attila_ wrote:
Quote:
Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
Are you talking about that (orange) light that is on before the flash fires? If you really wanted to use that, you can force flash on and then half-press the shutter and hold it. If you half-press the light goes on.... I'm not sure if this is going to fix the problem but it's one option if you are really talking about that pre-flash orange light...

No, I'm really talking about using the flash bulb as AF illuminator. The camera should light up the flash, not a full power, to lighten up the scene. I would be happy with a distance of 3 meters (better as nothing :lol.

-- Sorry, should've replied to this one. The Canon S30 that I lost DID EXACTLY THAT. Go figure.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:40 PM   #27

coontie wrote:
Quote:
Using the flash as AF? That's VERY easy to do, in fact Canon HAS done it. My old S30 had it and it worked wonderfully. In low light, when you half press the shutter, the flash bulb would turn on and stay on until you press the shutter, at which point the flash would fire normally. No big deal. WHY it's not available on S1 is a whole differeng discussion.
Thanks for the precision!

So, I think that every owner of a S1 IS should e-mail Canon and ask them for a firmware update that will allow us to use the flash as AF illuminator.

Or maybe we could collect the e-mail adress of the S1 owners, with the S/N of their S1, and send it to Canon with the ask of giving us an update...

What do you think?

_Attila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:15 PM   #28

I don't know about this flash illuminator idea... it sounds sooo... hmm... weird... how come other cameras don't have it?

You can complain to Canon but I don't think we are going to get much out of this camera when it comes to low-light. The camera just sucks for low light and I bought the camera knowing that. I shoot all my night pics with flash and that's good enough. All the pics that I don't shoot with flash can't be fixed with these light illuminators anyway (because theses are long-range pics (eg. buildings, landscape) and the lights only have a range of a few meters)...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:46 PM   #29

Yeah...I'd rather rely on true SLR type manual focusing in night pics anyhow.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:35 PM   #30

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
I don't know about this flash illuminator idea... it sounds sooo... hmm... weird... how come other cameras don't have it?
Other cameras DO have it! Canon's own cameras have it! S30 thru S70, to name a few.

Quote:
You can complain to Canon but I don't think we are going to get much out of this camera when it comes to low-light. The camera just sucks for low light and I bought the camera knowing that. I shoot all my night pics with flash and that's good enough. All the pics that I don't shoot with flash can't be fixed with these light illuminators anyway (because theses are long-range pics (eg. buildings, landscape) and the lights only have a range of a few meters)...
And the point of the low light lamp is not to light the scene so you can take a good pic, it's to enable the auto focus to do its job! So, I think you're missing the point here because nobody wants to use the flash while taking pictures in the dark -- that floods the scene in artificially white color. We want the AF to work properly in low light. That's it.