Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:36 PM   #31

_Attila_ wrote:
Quote:
coontie wrote:
Quote:
Using the flash as AF? That's VERY easy to do, in fact Canon HAS done it. My old S30 had it and it worked wonderfully. In low light, when you half press the shutter, the flash bulb would turn on and stay on until you press the shutter, at which point the flash would fire normally. No big deal. WHY it's not available on S1 is a whole differeng discussion.
Thanks for the precision!

So, I think that every owner of a S1 IS should e-mail Canon and ask them for a firmware update that will allow us to use the flash as AF illuminator.

Or maybe we could collect the e-mail adress of the S1 owners, with the S/N of their S1, and send it to Canon with the ask of giving us an update...

What do you think?
I think Canon doesn't care, really. I've very little faith in letter-writing campaigns.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:48 PM   #32

coontie wrote:
Quote:
Using the flash as AF? That's VERY easy to do, in fact Canon HAS done it. My old S30 had it and it worked wonderfully. In low light, when you half press the shutter, the flash bulb would turn on and stay on until you press the shutter, at which point the flash would fire normally. No big deal. WHY it's not available on S1 is a whole differeng discussion.
No no...that's not true right? Your S30 has a illuminator lamp to assist the camera with focusing in low light conditions. The light that comes on is not your flash in your S30 camera.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:29 PM   #33

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
coontie wrote:
Quote:
No no...that's not true right? Your S30 has a illuminator lamp to assist the camera with focusing in low light conditions. The light that comes on is not your flash in your S30 camera.
Well, my S30 was stolen in Aruba so I can't vouch anymore but I'm pretty damn sure the same bulb was used for both AF assist AND flash.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:46 PM   #34

Ok...this pic says it all I guess...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...cus_assist.jpg

"The autofocus is accomplished via a three-point TTL system with user-selectable AF points visible on the LCD monitor. The S30 also features an AF assist illuminator for accurate focusing even in dim to dark environments. (S40 shown but identical to S30)"
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:27 AM   #35

Ok, this is from the EOS 10D review:
Quote:
There is no external AF-assist lamp, the 10D emits a series of micro-flashes from the built-in flash to illuminate the subject in low-light conditions. The range of the AF-assist is approx. 13.2 feet (4 m). The small lamp on the front is for self timer notification (it is not a white balance sensor.)
So, it should be possible to do the same with the s1!

_Attila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:02 AM   #36

yah...maybe it could work. But I'm not sure if the S1IS could flash away like that, and then still have enough juice for the main flash. I preflash to get exposure settings .. ok. But using it for auto-focus..I'm not sure about that.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:50 AM   #37

For a little camera, I think maybe 1 preflash might be ok...but if it keeps using the flash for doing autofocus..then how can the flash have enough juice to fire the main one when needed right?
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:43 PM   #38

I believe the nikon 8400 does the same thing. My friends camera takes about 3 flashes the last being the brightest and longest. I'm guessing the other two preflashes are for this purpose. Mind you I don't actually know if thats the case.
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:14 PM   #39

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
I believe the nikon 8400 does the same thing. My friends camera takes about 3 flashes the last being the brightest and longest. I'm guessing the other two preflashes are for this purpose. Mind you I don't actually know if thats the case.
I think...from steve's digicam's specs list on the 8400 .. this camera has AF assist illuminator lamp..

"Ranging AF using AF ranging sensor and contrast-detect TTL AF with AF-assist illuminator"

"The camera is equipped with a focus-assist lamp, but in dim ambient lighting its range is limited to about 10 feet at full wide angle, and about 3 feet at its telephoto extreme."