Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:08 PM   #1

Hello, proud S1 IS owners and forum readers!

Please, take a look at link below

http://www.camerabright.com/

and share your thoughts.

Will it really help?

Happy and healthy New Year to everyone .

Thanks
goshik1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:22 AM   #2

hmm...It says it uses CR2032 batteries. They're not rechargeable right? This means you will always have to buy new batteries.

This unit is basically a electrical torch/lamp that is continuously on. Maybe it works a bit. But then again, it's interesting how that site doesn't say what range the light has, or what is the area of coverage etc? It'd be nice if it used rechargeable batteries.

I saw the video clip on that site. The unit doesn't appear to have much range, and the beam area is not too wide, so you get a circular shading around the subject. I guess that if you simply want to illuminuate an object and not care too much about uniform lighting all around the photo or picture, then this might be ok. But I'd check out what range this thing has first.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
But then again, it's interesting how that site doesn't say what range the light has, or what is the area of coverage etc?
Yeah... it sounds like a good solution for the S1 IS but it doesn't really give any specs. What's the range? How wide? How bright is the light (will someone facing the camera annoyed by it)? Etc... info is lacking... overall, it looks good though...

Quote:
It'd be nice if it used rechargeable batteries.
yep... the site says it can last for a full year with regular use but that's probably for people who only use it once in a while.

Quote:
I guess that if you simply want to illuminuate an object and not care too much about uniform lighting all around the photo or picture, then this might be ok.
I think a digicam owner (at least S1 IS owners) would use it to help their camera focus in low light. So it's not really used as bright illumination. This will basically be the AF-assist lamp that the S1 IS is missing...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:19 PM   #4

yea, the lack of a low light AF assist lamp has been pissing me off lately. I usually compensate by going to shutter priority mode and setting it to around 2-3s. S1 IS must be placed on a hard surface and you have to press the shutter ever so gently but you wouldn't beleive how good some of the pictures come out even though to your naked eye it looks like a near total darkness.

For hand held shots, manual mode to 1/8s+2.8aperture has worked for me but it won't work in near total darkness. Focus is a problem, as usual and its hard to use manual focus as well because you can't even see what you're try to focus on! Perhaps focus bracketing is a solution...

I wouldnt buy an extra light thingie cuz i hate carrying stuff around. S1 is bulky as is already.
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:35 AM   #5

coontie wrote:
Quote:
...you have to press the shutter ever so gently...
One tip is to use a timer, such as the 2 second timer. Even for hand-held shots, the 2s timer can help. It takes longer, obviously, but it might reduce shake...

Quote:

I wouldnt buy an extra light thingie cuz i hate carrying stuff around. S1 is bulky as is already.
This light thingie looks small so it may not be so bulky... but its range is a question mark?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:01 AM   #6

I am attaching two pictures taken by the S1; these were taken in almost total darkness with flash only; the focussing took palce in almost total darkness; the red red-eye reduction lamp came on just before the flash fired; as you can see, they are quite sharp and well-focussed; apparently the red-eye reduction lamp does fuction as a focus assist lamp; taken in P mode
Attached Images

samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:22 AM   #7

Picture no.2
Attached Images

samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8

samcheri wrote:
Quote:
I am attaching two pictures taken by the S1; these were taken in almost total darkness with flash only; the focussing took palce in almost total darkness; the red red-eye reduction lamp came on just before the flash fired; as you can see, they are quite sharp and well-focussed; apparently the red-eye reduction lamp does fuction as a focus assist lamp; taken in P mode
The low-light situation that most people complain about is when using the camera without flash. With flash, there really isn't any issues.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:34 PM   #9

I wrote an e-mail to these people and here is what they answered:

The light has a range of up to 12 feet

At 12 feet the coverage is about 6ft x 6ft

The CameraBright!(TM) X1 uses 4 ultra-bright white LEDs from the Nichia Corporation that produce an average luminous intensity of 9,200Millicandela(mcd), in total the CameraBright! X1 puts out 36,800mcd of light. This is enough light to reduce redeye, enhance frame-up of pictures, improve night videos and to assist with the auto-focus mechanism of most cameras. We did receive 1 reviewer's feedback that the unit can be intense in some situations, like waking a subject up from sleeping… As always: Looking directly into any light source for a prolonged period of time within a short distance is not a good idea, especially when you just woke up!!!!

I agree that flash makes things easy even in total darkness, but the problem is to get focus on "fast moving objects" such as my kids. That's where I have some problems even using flash . So, I'm still thinking about this light
goshik1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:32 AM   #10

Is there a lowlight solution for the S1 IS that...

1. doesn't emit ANY visible light
1. costs less than $50 including tax/shipping if purchased new without any discounts or sales or coupons or rebates
2. allows for 10 stops faster shutter speed at ISO 50 than would otherwise be available at ISO 400 assuming all other settings and exposure remain the same
3. has good color balance
4. (not quite as critical, but...) allows camera to focus well in total darkness

???
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote