Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:59 PM   #1

I have a few questions, and they may seem dumb, but i want to make sure I understand.

It has 10xoptical zoom. I ASSUME, that means if you are that close, you have to have it on a trippod or its going to be fuzzy right from movement? but if your in a normal distance with a normal zoom, things arent going to be fuzzy from shaking it right?

and
somewhere i read that i only takes a good 5x7 photo. i just called wolf camera and he said hes seen beautiful 11x14s with this. who do i beleive?

and last question (for now)
it has auto focus.. but if I am reading this right, it also has manual focus. which would mean I could focus on something like I would with a slr camera?

AquaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:27 PM   #2

I have an S1 IS.

The Image Stabilization system gives me sharp pictures at full 10x zoom - so long as I hold the camera reasonably steady. But any image stabilization system has its limits, so don't expect a 100%, cure for camera shake every time.

I seldom make prints, and in any event I can't print larger than 8 1/2 x 11 but they're usually satisfactory at that size, at least when the image isn't cropped much.

The manual focus seems (to me) to be a matter of activating a pointer on a scale on the viewing screen to the distance you choose - e.g. 3 feet. I don't know whether the accuracy of your manual setting can be checked by looking at the folding view screen.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:37 PM   #3

I also have the S1 IS so here is a 2nd opinion (I agree with everythin the poster above says BTW)...

AquaCity wrote:
Quote:
It has 10xoptical zoom. I ASSUME, that means if you are that close, you have to have it on a trippod or its going to be fuzzy right from movement? but if your in a normal distance with a normal zoom, things arent going to be fuzzy from shaking it right?
Yeah... Camera shake exists at all times but it is far more of a problem at the telephoto (high zoom) than at wide-angle (low zoom). Canon S1 IS has image stabilization so it helps a bit.

Furthermore, fuzziness due to camera shake is a big problem in low-light (eg. night), whereas it is ok during the day (eg. sunny day). I can usually take hand-held 10x zoom pics during sunny days but it is next to impossible during the night (depending on what you are shooting at and whether you have wind, etc).

Quote:
...somewhere i read that i only takes a good 5x7 photo. i just called wolf camera and he said hes seen beautiful 11x14s with this. who do i beleive?
The printing size is based on resolution that you use to print. For example, some people only print at 300 dpi (dots per inch), while some people are happy with around 200dpi. The higher the dpi resolution, the better the image quality. Most users will say that 3 megapixels (which S1 IS has) will produce AVERAGE 8"x10" pics (and excellent 4x6 and excellent 5x7). This quality determination is based on the individual. Like I said, some people are happy with low res prints at large sizes while others don't like them. The quality also depends on viewing distance. The closer you are to the image, the more detail that is needed (whereas if it is a "poster" that is to be viewed from several meters away, low res is fine).

Quote:
and last question (for now)
it has auto focus.. but if I am reading this right, it also has manual focus. which would mean I could focus on something like I would with a slr camera?
Yes, the manual focus is sort of like a film camera. BUT it is very simplistic and hard to use. First of all, it is hard to tell if anything is in focus because the LCD size is too small and the LCD resolution is too low. Since there is no optical viewfinder, you are basically focusing based on some hard-to-see pixellated image on the LCD. Second, you have to control the focus distance with a button and the focus distance indicator is not very accurate.

So I wouldn't consider the manual focus on the S1 IS to be anything great. It's better than nothing but it isn't a major feature either.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:06 PM   #4

ok, thank you for the replies. I think I am knocking the s1 off the list. I dont want to deal with shaky problems. I don't like thats is only 3 mp. and if to use manual you have to rely on the screen, never mind.

I thought manual would be cool, but I guess its not the most important. I will try to find higher MP, lower optical.
AquaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:23 PM   #5

Get a panasonic FZ15. I currently own an S1 and I can't say i'm terribly impressed. It's ok. I've gotten good results with manual focus but only in well lit areas. In darkness, the camera will rarely auto-focus and since its dark, you can't manually focus cuz you cant see yourself either! But when its bright out, you dont need a manual focus to begin with. Go figure.

That said, the zoom+IS works great and you can take hand held focused pics at 10x no problem (daylight, obv)
coontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:18 PM   #6

Wait a few weeks (or less) for the February announcements of new camera models. If Canon decides to continue with the S-series, it's likely an update to the S1 will take place at this time.

Regardless of complaints, they DID sell quite a few of them. It's reasonable that a higher resolution version of it will come out - hopefully with an AF assist light as well.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:57 PM   #7

Not sure about the manual focus on your canon. But manual focus on my canon g6 just means something like pointing the camera at some object that's similar in distance to your subject (..the subject is somewhere in another direction etc), and then you press this button to lock the focus. That's about it really. So it's not like manual focus on a SLR camera where you can rotate the this collar thing to do the focusing by yourself.

And about the tripod thing for taking photos of subjects at a relatively big distance away from you..... a tripod just helps to eliminate camera shake. The changes in the position of the subject in the viewfinder (due to camera shake) gets larger and larger when the subject gets further and further away from the camera. So if we stop shaking the camera by using a tripod, then the position of the subject in the viewfinder won't change...and this greatly increases our chances of taking a crisp sharp photo.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:25 AM   #8

yes the S1 has manual focus! infact it can focus from 2inches to infinity.

check out this link, most these pics were taken with a S1. Infact this person owns an S1,G6 and Pro1. when asked if he could keep just one camera which would it be, He answers S1.

http://www.pbase.com/rhiggs1

anyhoo, there is also good info on that forum. there are also anti S1 people there, But the pro S1 people have better portfolios

lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:38 AM   #9

AquaCity wrote:
Quote:
ok, thank you for the replies. I think I am knocking the s1 off the list. I dont want to deal with shaky problems. I don't like thats is only 3 mp. and if to use manual you have to rely on the screen, never mind.

I thought manual would be cool, but I guess its not the most important. I will try to find higher MP, lower optical.
Have a look at some tests and original pictures. The 3 MP from the S1 can beat some 4 MP cameras. And for the shaky problems: never had them (ok, maybe sometimes, but at 1/30 sec for tele at 380mm ... On a tripod, never had them!

Manual is ok when you have time for the pictures (like close up for e-bay, everything that isn't moving.). It's not perfect, but still ok. Sure it isn't like the old SLR cameras, but you can live with this. I'm trained to use it for pictures at parties. Locked at 1.5m, f/4 and you can have some good pictures! (that's a trick from the old manual SLR cameras :G).
_Attila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:14 AM   #10

I have had an S1 since august; taken over 2000 pics and about 30-40 minutes of movies with it

Extremely satisfied all round; only things I dont like are the small lcd (flip and turn is great tho': allows overhead and waist-level shooting!) and the low-light focussing

As to prints and print sizes, I have done upto A3 (17"x11") on my photo quality epson with perfectly acceptable results using only the standard windows XP drivers

You can see my pictures at www.pbase.com/samcheri

Pictures from other S1 users are also available at www.pbase.com ; go to camera database on the welcome page and choose Canon Powershot S1
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote