Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:32 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of an A85. My first digital camera, and i love it! I was just wondering if i could use it as a webcam since the quality is so good. If so, how would i set it up? Does anyone know?

Ray
ray_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:44 AM   #2

Sorry I do not have an answer on your question. I myself am planning to buy the A85 but I would like to know if this camera has a possibility for an external flash. I would appreciate it very much if you could give me your ratings for it.

Thanks and regards [email protected]
edversyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:05 AM   #3

This camera does not have a hot shoe for a flash...

I do not know if the A85 can be used as a webcam, I do know that you can plug it and to your computer and use Remote capture to take pictures of you every x seconds/minutes and then it will download them to your computer and then u can send it to someone. But as a camera that films... I would say it would be doubtly since the camera is limited to 3mins in 320x240 mode. Anyway, it would be more recommendale to buy a real webcam since it will use uselessly some parts of your camera.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:10 AM   #4

Thanks for your quick response... it's helpfull. Regards
edversyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:08 PM   #5

Thanks Nicolas.

I didn't think the web cam idea would work but figured i would ask.

Edvresyp,

Nicolas has already told you the A85 doesn't have a hotshoe for external flash but I haven't found that i needed one for mine. Although i've only had it for a few weeks and haven't shot in all conditions, it does a great job as is. I love mine so far but i'm just an ameture. If you are shooting professionally, you may need something else.

ray_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:21 PM   #6

I bought my wife the A85 and if I recall, the software that comes with it will allow you to hook the camera up to the PC via the USB cable and allow it to act like a web cam of sorts.

Take a look at Steve's link. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/a85_pg6.html

You won't get web cam video, but it will have the ability to take pics in intervals and save them to a location on your PC. Then you can use netcam programs to automatically serve up these pics in the intervals you choose.

Again, this would not be video (would not work for chatting), but intervals of pics that would refresh on a web page or somthing along those lines.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote