Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:06 PM   #1

Hi.I bought the Canon SD300 a few weeks ago and I'm having problems getting decent shots indoors.Everything is coming out too soft.My Canon A85 takes the same shots easily,so its not me shaking.Does anyone else have this problem.I've only got a fews days left on my no hassle return.Do I give it back or just exchange it?It is pretty small and I like that.Maybe I should have gotten the Pentax Optio s4i.Any opinions.
bobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:37 PM   #2

Please say a bit more about how you're taking the photos. Is it really dark indoors? And is the flash going off? Also, it might help to upload an example photo.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:04 PM   #3

A lot of the Canon cameras produce soft pics by default it seems. Maybe the SD300 is like that too.

See if the SD300 has in-camera sharpening (it's actually called 'sharpening'). If it does, try increasing that and see if you like the pics. (The other alternative is to sharpen using some image editor. I usually sharpen the pics out of my Canon S1 IS using the bundled Arcsoft PhotoStudio software)

If none of that satisfies you, you should return the camera (assuming it doesn't cost you anything). There is nothing worse than being stuck with a camera you don't like--you'll likely hate the camera and not take as many pics if you keep it. One of the main competitors to the SD300 is the Panasonic FX7. See if you like that any better.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:08 AM   #4

The pictures I'm complaining about are daytime shots with quite a bit of sunshine coming in through large windows.I'm not using the flash because I don't want to lose the natural effect.Also,the flash is sure to cause red eyes.
bobray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:51 AM   #5

If you got lots of sunshine coming in, then there's something wrong with the camera. My friend has SD300, and it takes very nice photos. Maybe you should just exchange it. It's just not normal.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote