Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:57 AM   #1

For those of you with Canon cameras, you should know about the three quality modes for pictures: Normal, Fine and SuperFine. I took two test shots with my A400 to see if I could tell the difference between Fine mode (which produces normal quality pics) and SuperFine mode (which supposedly produces high quality pics). However, I didn't notice any difference in quality between the pics. At this point I really don't see the point of using SuperFine mode, it just wastes memory card space. Any thoughts on this?
Silent Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:30 AM   #2

I did a quick check with my A95 last week and found the same situation. I was thinking about the same thing about the memory savingbut will have to do more test when I have time to decide on this. For my 5Mp camera, it would not make much difference for small prints.
Bill_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:57 AM   #3

The difference between Fine and Superfine is how much the camera will compress the original picture. Every digital camera geta Raw picture. Then it's compressed to Tiff, Jpeg or, in manycameras, can be saved as Raw too for best quality.

The difference will be visible if Youdo a big enlargement.

Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:33 AM   #4

Exactly as above. Unfortunately, not all cameras allow you to save in RAW format.

I have the Canon S1 IS and pics only come in jpeg. I have it set on largest size, superfine to give me the highest quality at all times, just in case I snap that once in a lifetime shot that I want an 8 x 10 of or larger, I want my best chance to get a quality print. If memory is a problem I am more likely to buy an additional card than sacrifice image quality.

BTW, on the Canon cameras I've used (S1 and A40) you must set the resolution and compression on each mode separately. ie: if I set to 2048x1536 on Auto, and then switch to Night Scene, the resolution could be different there. I went through and changed each camera mode (auto and manual modes) to the settings I wanted.

Glenn

ghubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:39 AM   #5

You are always better to save at SuperFine UNLESS you know for sure that you will NEVER enlarge a picture larger than 5x7(8x10 is probably also ok) or that you will just use it for web/email purpose.

For my part, when I take a picture I want to have options, I want the option to print it larger if I feel the need to, so I shoot at 5mp and Superfine.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:38 PM   #6

For those who state that there is no discernable difference between SuperFine and Fine compression I wonder what method was used to come to this conclusion. For the most part I agree that straight out of the camera artifacts is negligible in both SuperFine and Fine when outputted to a 4X6 or 5X7 print. However, if you wish to do any image editor work, via PS or other, it would be advisable to use the smallest amount of compression available. But it all depends on how much memory one has, for those of us that have 512MB or 1GB it's easy to say use the least amount of compression but for those having less it might be better to sacrifice potential quality for the gain in pictures taken.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:14 PM   #7

Great responses guys, thank you . And what, pray tell, do you guys think about "Normal" mode for your Canon cameras? As you know, this is the lowest quality setting. I was wondering if there is any noticeable difference in 4x6 prints when using this mode.
Silent Momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:18 PM   #8

The best way to know is to try to take some pictures in normal mode to print in 4x6.... but honnestly it probably depends on the resolution of your camera. I wouldn't suggest ever dropping the quality of your picture, unless you are absolutly sure that you will never want to print it larger than 4x6 or to use it on the web. Then again, a solution could be to reduce the size of your picture to 2-3mp.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:41 AM   #9

I have a A95 and the default is Fine. I want the default to be SuperFine. Is there any way to make this happen? Every time I turn on the camera I have to switch from Fine to SuperFine. It is quite annoying that it can't "remember" what I like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bankedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:42 PM   #10

I also own the A95 and I have not had such problems, I only changed it to Superfine, but I have to do it for every modes or just for the modes I use. Maybe you should do that and also, go into menu and find the save settings option, even tho I think its only for custom mode.

For me, I just set the mode to what I want and when I close the camera it remembers for next time I use it. That way I can set Tv to Fine, P to Superfine and Auto to Normal or whatever and each mode will be saved that way for next time I open the camera OR until my batteries die AND the battery inside the camera runs out of juice.